I’m a once a week grocery shopper. I plan our dinners out a week at a time, make my shopping list and head to Target to restock every Tuesday. Come Monday evening there is not a whole lot to eat around our house. Milk is gone, fruit is gone, the kid’s snack basket is close to empty, there may be like one egg in the egg carton, and a few slices of bread- probably the heels, in the breadbox. It’s obvious that it’s grocery shopping day.
This week when I was planning my menu and checking the pantry to see what we were out of I thought about something my mother in law posted on Facebook a few weeks ago. She said she had been reading in Psalm 23 and thinking about how a shepherd leads his sheep. He takes them to eat in green pastures, but when there is no more grass for them to eat, he moves them to a new pasture.
Isaiah 40:11 He will feed His flock like a shepherd;…
Jesus wants to feed and lead you in the same way a shepherd feeds and leads his sheep. He wants to keep moving you from green pasture to green pasture, but you have to be willing to leave the pasture you are in and walk with Him into a new pasture. We get comfortable with things the way they are and when we are comfortable it’s harder to notice that the pasture we are in isn’t cutting in anymore. We stop moving forward in our relationship with God and the plan that He has for our life when we aren’t able to recognize when it’s time to move on.
Just because God led you to a certain pasture a few years ago, does not mean He wants you to stay there forever. If you are down to your last egg, it’s time to move on. I can’t go to the grocery store once in January and be set for the year. I’ve gotta keep taking stock, keep making shopping lists, and keep making trips to Target so I can provide food for my family.
Food runs out. The box of Raisin Bran I bought last week is gone. It provided nourishment , I enjoyed it, but when it was empty I threw it away and went to get another box. Even good pastures, pastures that God led you to, pastures you enjoyed and served a purpose in your life will dry up and that’s okay, because He is a good shepherd and when the time comes to leave your comfy pasture, if you trust Him and follow Him, He’ll lead you to one that’s even better.
- The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want!
- The Lord feeds me like a shepherd feeds his sheep… keeping them happy and grazing in green pastures.
- My very wise mother in law.
- Started my 16th week of pregnancy!
- My niece Courtney texted me just what I needed this morning!
- My friend Julie watched Gus & Beau for me this morning so I could get a manicure/pedicure.
- My feet are finally ready for flip flops!
- The nail technician that did my pedicure was 16 weeks pregnant, just like me. I enjoyed chatting with her about all things baby.
- Felt the baby flutter around a few times during my pedicure.
- Fun lunch with the kids at What-a-burger.
- Came home to a clean house!
- Will come home to a clean house next week after vacation!
- Beau was fascinated with my polished toenails. We had to make a trip to Walgreens and get some pink polish for her toes.
- Beau sat so still while I painted her tiny, tiny little toe nails.
- Having a girl is awesome! Really enjoyed that little moment with her today.
- Packing, organizing, making lists, cleaning… all things I love and all things I did this afternoon.
- Beau woke up from her nap in a very cuddly mood. Loved holding her close.
- Great report from the doctors about my friend’s pregnancy!
- My hair is clean and straight again!
- Too worn out to cook… Cici’s $5 pizza to the rescue!
- Final day of Wacky Week Southlake went great.
- Josh got home in time to say goodnight to the kids and to see Beau’s little painted toes!
- Felt so good to crash on the couch and kick up my feet for a little while after a very busy day.
- Gus bathed himself tonight… still don’t trust him to wash all of that hair of his on his own, but I let him skip hair washing tonight and he proved he’s officially becoming a big boy!
- Gus spotted the “Shake It & Make It” ice cream cups at Walgreens that he saw an add on TV for and has been talking about ever since. He can’t wait to shake it and make some ice cream with Nana & Papa in a few days.
- Tomorrow we leave for our family reunion at Robber’s Cave!! Excited to start our vacation!!!