1 John 4:18 (AMP) There is no fear in love [dread does not exist], but full-grown (complete, perfect) love turns fear out of doors and expels every trace of terror! For fear brings with it the thought of punishment, and [so] he who is afraid has not reached the full maturity of love [is not yet grown into love’s complete perfection].
The full maturity of love. I wonder how long you have to be saved before you can reach the full maturity of love. In America someone decided that when you turn 18 you are mature enough to be called an adult, but I think it takes most people until they are about 30, some even 40 before they really mature. Even though I thought I was mature at 18 I was not even close… more mature than most of the 18 year olds I knew, but still, no where near as mature as I am now. Maturity usually comes with age, but I don’t think age is a factor when it comes to reaching the full maturity of love that 1 John 4:18 is talking about. You don’t have to be saved for 18 years, 30 years, or even 40 years to experience God’s perfect love- the perfect loves that drives out all every trace of fear.
My four year old son Gus asked Jesus into his heart only 3 months ago but he seems to have already reached full maturity in God’s love. He is no where near mature in any other area… he still gets food all over the floor at dinner, cries when he loses at Memory, and has to have his clothes picked out for him, but this perfect love of God thing he’s got down pat and because of that he’s fearless.
There is no fear in God’s perfect love and all Gus knows of God’s love is that it is perfect so he knows no fear. He has never had to experience anything that would cause him to doubt God’s love for him. Could it be the older we get and the more we see and experience the less mature in God’s love we become? We go through trials, loss, and hurt and that view of God’s perfect love that we used to have seems like an illusion instead of reality… so we go back to being immature and welcome fear and worry into our lives.
If we want to be fearless, if we want to expel every trace of terror, every thought of punishment, we have to get back to that place that maybe we haven’t been to since we were four years old like Gus. That place where God’s love is perfect, no matter what. That place where we are so aware of God’s love for us that nothing else matters. That place where we don’t worry about anything, because we trust that everything is being taken care of for us. That place where the devil is nothing more than a wimpy baby who eats his boogers (Gus’ words, not mine.)
We’ve all been through things that we never thought we’d have to to go through, but the truth is God’s love never for us never changed… it’s always been the same, it’s always been perfect… the only thing that changed was our perception of it.
I am not at the perfect place of full maturity in God’s love and I know that because I still deal with thoughts of worry and fear, but I’m so thankful to know that it’s not something I have to wait until I’m a certain spiritual age to achieve. My son Gus has taught me that the maturity I want doesn’t come with age at all. I want to be fearless like he is, so my prayer today is that the Lord would show me how to get back to that place where my view of God’s love was perfect, because it still is perfect, it always has been perfect, and it always will be perfect!
- My fearless little four year old.
- God’s love is perfect… always has been, always will be.
- God’s love casts out all fear!
- Full maturity in God’s love doesn’t have to do with my age.
- When you wake up and look at your alarm clock thinking you’ve only got a few more minutes left until it’s time to get up and it’s actually only midnight… that’s some good sleepin’.
- Gus got to play with his friend Ava all day!
- Beau got to play with her friend Olivia all day!
- All 4 kids did such a good job sharing.
- 2 potty training girls and 0 accidents!
- 4 sweet little faces enjoying their mac n cheese at lunch in complete silence.
- Even with all of the excitement of having friends over to play Beau took a great nap.
- The big kids played quietly while Beau napped and I got to work during my usual 2 hour window.
- Gus was a good sport even though Ava beat him at Memory every round… maybe he’s matured more than I thought in that area.
- All the kids were great helpers when it was time to clean up.
- My friend Briana made it safely home from CA.
- 40 years ago one of the nicest guys ever was born… Shane Spicer.
- Keith. Fun memories of Josh’s old band.
- Breakfast for dinner!
- Beau had her first kiwi and loved it so much she was licking the juice off of her tray.
- Frozen yogurt for dessert!
- Found “Be My Valentine Charlie Brown” and still had my coupon from Sonic so I got it for $2!
- My OV watch.
- Beau says “I love you” just like I say it.
- An awesome, confirming, totally God text from my friend Anna.
- The 1099 forms I needed to mail tomorrow came today. Yay! So glad I ordered them the day I did.
- Diapers are not on my grocery list for tomorrow!
- Relaxing and fun night watching AI with JB. I love laughing with him!