Yesterday, I wrote about the night I started this blog and about how important it is to take the first step in doing what it is that you know God has called you to do. If you never take the first natural step, He can never follow with supernatural steps. Today, I came across this verse and God spoke to me about being a finisher, someone who takes the first step and then keeps on stepping until they reach the finish line.
John 17:4 I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to do.
Jesus was a finisher. He started something great when He agreed to leave His father and His kingdom in heaven behind, downsize to the confines on a young girls womb, and enter into a world that He knew would reject Him on that first Christmas morning. He didn’t stop there though. He knew to bring His father glory on the earth He had to do more than just start, He had to finish.
And that’s exactly what He did when He gave His life for us, hanging from the cross.
John 19:30 So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit.
After He completed the work His father had given Him to do, He shouted in victory, “It is finished!”.
Jesus is not the only one who has ever received an assignment from His father. God has assigned each one of us to do something or somethings to bring Him glory during our time here on earth.
Last August, He gave me one of my “somethings” when He shared the idea for this blog with me. I took the first step in the natural and wrote and published my first post and after that I determined that I would finish strong 364 days later. In just 2 more days I will cross that finish line and I’ll do it with joy. All the time, energy, and dedication I’ve poured into this project will have been worth it, because I have glorified God on the earth and finished the work He gave me to do.
Whether you are at the starting line, somewhere in the middle, or so close to the finish line you can taste it, determine that you are going to be like Jesus, you are going to do more than just start the work God has called you to, you are going to finish it and finish strong.
Acts 20:24 (NLT) But my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus…
- Jesus finished!
- The completed work of the cross.
- We have all been given special assignments from God, that when finished, will bring Him glory!
- 2 posts away from finishing 10kreasons!
- Phil 1:6 And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.
- Beau slept until 7 this morning! Was hoping that 5:30 wakeup call yesterday was just a fluke.
- Awesome morning playing lunar putt-putt golf with Grammy & Grampy.
- We finished all 18 holes just before Josh had to leave for work.
- When I ran into my friend Sayra yesterday she mentioned the Collin Creek Mall and the area where we ate lunch today. It was so nice having something new and different to try.
- Yummy lunch at Frankie’s Mexican Cafe.
- Sweet Firefly Ice Cream. Cute little store and really, really good ice cream!
- The blue tongue Beau got from her Cookie Monster ice cream.
- Ice cream and putt putt were Grammy & Grampy’s treat.
- Beau fell asleep in the car on the way back, but finished her long nap in her bed when we got home.
- Grampy was here to help me carry Beau’s sleepy head up the stairs.
- Got to have my mom and dad sitting with me at church tonight.
- Great worship! Everyone seemed so entered in tonight.
- Crown Him by Chris Tomlin. What a song!
- Pastor Robert’s message on how easy it is to witness to someone. Good stuff!
- The mechanic that witnessed to Pastor Robert’s grandfather.
- Palio’s Pizza for dinner.
- The way a spanking can change a kid’s attitude!
- Beau is learning about how Jesus is our healer in her class at church this month.
- Grammy got to read Gus all of his bed time stories tonight.
- The silly good knight/bad knight game Gus was playing with Grammy. He was having such a good time.
- Bath time with Beau and Charlie Hope songs.
- My niece Maleah made it safely to her new home for the next year, China!!