We have lots of super hero books at our house. My son Gus is especially fond of the DC Super Friends. I was reading to him about Green Lantern vs Atrocitus the other night and this description of Atrocitus really caught my attention.
The alien Atrocitus wears a power ring that is fueled by his limitless anger. With his ring, Atrocitus can create anything he can imagine out of his fiery red energy.
That sounds a lot like a super power most humans possess. When we allow ourselves to hold on to anger we end up creating things in our imagination about the person we are at odds with that only add more fuel to our fiery anger.
I know, I’ve been there before. My husband does something small that makes me angry and the longer I hold onto it the more I imagine all the other things he’s doing, he’s done, or he will do to make me mad… and the anger grows. It’s a vicious cycle.
Ephesians 4:26-27 AMP) When angry, do not sin; do not ever let your wrath (your exasperation, your fury or indignation) last until the sun goes down. Leave no [such] room or foothold for the devil [give no opportunity to him].
The devil loves when we turn into angry Atrocitus like aliens, because it’s at that point that we make room for him in our lives. He’s always looking for a foothold, an open door, and if you don’t let go of your anger, he will take advantage of it and come right on in and start doing what he does best: stealing, killing, and destroying.
“The devil’s work is to accuse and divide the family of God, and to sow discord among them. When we harbor anger in our heart, we do the devil’s work for him.” – Guzik
When someone does something that makes you angry it’s best to resolve it as soon as possible, before your power ring goes to work creating imaginations that put a wedge between you and your spouse, friend, boss, coworker, parents, or whoever. I can’t think of one time in my life when holding on to anger was more beneficial than letting it go.
Anger is not something to cherish. It’s not something you want to make a memory out of. It’s something you want to settle as soon as possible and then dismiss. The longer you hang on to it the more vivid your imaginations will get and the more vivid your imaginations get the angrier you will get until you are in full blown Atrocitus mode. Don’t go there. Don’t let the devil nestle his way into your life. Get over your anger before your head hits the pillow.
“When the heat of the day is over, the heat of anger should be over” – Gills
- God knew we weren’t created to harbor anger. We can go to Him when we need help letting go of it.
- The quicker we let something go the quicker we can go back to walking in God’s perfect peace.
- Gus’ book shelf full of super hero books.
- I spent most of last night awake with a terrible migraine. My husband spent most of the night awake praying for me. He’s so good to me.
- I felt such peace when his big warm hand was resting on my forehead.
- Josh got up early and fed the kids breakfast, so I could sleep in a little longer.
- Beau knew I wasn’t up yet because I didn’t feel good, so when I walked in to the living room she immediately started praying for me.
- Beau was super easy this morning and allowed me to just lay around and watch her play.
- Lilo & Stich movie morning cuddling so close with my sweet little girl.
- Picnic lunch.
- Beau named 13 letters today. Half down, half to go.
- Got a much needed nap while Beau was taking her nap.
- Gus had an all green day at school!
- Beau told Gus in the car on the way home that she missed him while he was at school. They were melting my heart!
- Gus made me the sweetest picture of me and him roasting marshmallows together at Robbers Cave.
- He told me I make him smile when he thinks of me at school and he wanted to make something for me that would make me smile. Oh my goodness. He has a sweet heart!
- Dad’s surgery went well.
- Beautiful day!
- Kids playing in the back yard and me sitting back enjoying some fresh air.
- Josh brought dinner home so I could have the night off of cooking.
- We ate outside so I could have the night off of cleaning.
- Got out the old scatch paddles tonight. Gus had a blast and has greatly improved since last year.
- Smith Wigglesworth Devotional. Read some awesome healing stories in it this afternoon.
- Stripes & Scars. My favorite healing song. Listened to it this afternoon while I was trying to fall asleep for my nap, woke up feeling better.
- Gus & Beau were planning their “weddin” in the bathtub tonight and what kind of puppy they want to get when they have their own house.
- Could hear Gus after we put him to bed practicing syllable counting. I remember doing the same thing when I learned about syllables.
- Very early to bed night!