This morning me and my husband dropped our son off at preschool and headed to Ikea to get a much needed storage cabinet, only to find out we had 45 minutes to wait until it opened. We decided to get breakfast. I had already eaten breakfast, but since it is the most important meal of the day I figured two rounds wasn’t going to hurt anybody. We found the closest McDonalds, which also happened to be the nicest McDonalds I’ve ever been to, and we went inside for a lovely little breakfast with our 2 year old daughter, Beau.
We sat by the play place and watched her play. I could tell she was totally enjoying having the whole place to herself, not even bubba was there to knock her over or get in her way. She would get inside and climb a little ways up and then she would come back down and tell us it was too scary to go any higher. After her dad finished his breakfast he asked her if she wanted to go up high with him. She was torn, but the thrill seeker in her won out and she agreed. He went ahead of her and she followed. She made it to the top and realized it wasn’t so scary after all. As she was waving down at me through the protective netting, God reminded me that things seem much scarier when your dad is not around.
In Deuteronomy 3, Moses, who had been like a father figure to the children of Israel, is letting them know that he is not going to continue with them into the promised land. I’m sure that news shook quite a few people to their core. What were they going to do without their fearless leader Moses? He’s the guy with the staff. He’s the guy who hears from God. He’s the guy that led them out of Egypt. He’s THE guy!
God knew the Israelites needed to be reassured. He knew that they were all thinking, “this is too scary”, so he had Moses tell them this,
Deuteronomy 31:3,6 The Lord your God himself will cross over ahead of you…. Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.
Yes, Moses was leaving, but God was going to go ahead of them, and go with them all at the same time. Those words are for us today too. Whatever thing you might be facing, that seems to scary, God wants you to know, that your dad is with you. He will go ahead of you and he will go with you all at the same time.
When Josh stepped into that play place Beau went from timid to courageous, all based on the fact that her daddy was with her. You can go from timid to couragaous based on that same fact- your father, God, goes with you, He will never leave you or forsake you… never. Be aware today that the best and strongest dad ever is with you and ahead of you, so you have nothing to fear!
- The Lord goes before me & He goes with me.
- He never leaves me!
- He can tun my timidity into courage.
- Nice little breakfast date with Beau.
- She had to whole play place to herself.
- Everything in Frisco is nice… even McDonalds!
- The look on Beau’s face when we told her Nana & Papa were coming today.
- My family in Tulsa were safe and sound after a night of tornadoes.
- Josh spent his whole afternoon putting together a very intense storage cabinet from Ikea.
- I now have a place to store blankets, board games, and DVDs!
- Gus had a great day at school!
- Had a very teachable moment with Gus on the way home about how God rewards those who follow after him.
- Nana & Papa had a safe trip to Tulsa.
- Kenny’s Burger Joint for dinner!
- Kenny (Papa) treated us to Kenny’s.
- The kids both thoroughly enjoyed their ice cream desserts.
- Audrey Jobe. Remembering a precious little girl who was born still one year ago today. She mattered.
- Pink Impact! The women’s conference of Gateway Church.
- David & Alena Moore leading worship at Gateway Frisco tonight. Nothing like worshipping with a bunch of women… and David.
- Christine Caine. Her passion for God is contagious!
- Charlotte Gambill. Adorable & Anointed. LOVED her message on “Seat Selection.”
- Pastor Debbie Morris.
- Pastor Adana Wilson.
- All of the people who worked so hard to make Pink Impact happen.
- My friend Sayra gave me a ride home.
- Got to visit and laugh with some very sweet girls tonight.
- I got one of the best e-mails ever today from a very dear friend! The kind of e-mail that just makes you stop and tell God how cool He is.