A few mornings ago my husband asked my four year old son Gus what he thought about the devil, to which he replied, “I don’t think about him, I just think about Jesus.” What great revelation from such a cute little blonde boy.
We live in an age where it’s very easy to find out about all of the evil things that the devil is responsible for each day. News anchors make their livings reporting his wickedness, which is why I rarely watch the news. It’s not that I don’t want to know about the hurting people in the world, but I don’t want to allow my mind to be fixed on the devil’s badness instead of on God’s goodness. Satan is the one responsible for the murders, terrorist attacks, sex trafficking, diseases, abortion, and all things evil, and if we spend our time meditating on his bad, we lose sight of God’s good.
Last July, when I was in the hospital, a few hours away from delivering my son still born, I couldn’t stop thinking about satan and how he had totally cheated me and my family. I was angry and thinking about what he had done was not making me feel any better, it was only making me feel worse. I decided to worship. I didn’t feel like it, but I was tired of meditating on what satan did, I wanted to start meditating on what God has done, and what He would do to heal my broken heart.
The decision to think about Jesus instead of thinking about the devil changed my life FOREVER. I turned on my Pandora app and the first song it played was, “10,000 Reasons” by Matt Redman. God sealed that moment in my memory forever and a month after giving birth to Felix, I gave birth to this blog.
Philippians 4:8 (NIRV) Finally, my brothers and sisters, always think about what is true. Think about what is noble, right and pure. Think about what is lovely and worthy of respect. If anything is excellent or worthy of praise, think about those kinds of things.
The devil is absolutely NONE of those things, so why should we spend time thinking about him and all the evil in the world that he is responsible for. Fix your thoughts on the past, present, and future goodness of God.
- God is noble!
- God is right and pure!
- God is lovely!
- God is worthy of respect!
- God is excellent.
- Gus is always finding ways to minister to me.
- How the decision to think about God’s goodness changed my life.
- There are ways to get the news without spending hours meditating on it.
- Boston bombers caught.
- Gus got to go get hot cocoa from Starbucks with Papa this morning.
- Got to visit with Nana & Papa for a little while before they had to head to Louisiana this afternoon.
- Fun lunch with some of the sweetest girls around.
- My friend Sayra bought everyone’s lunch!
- Got to see Jennifer Goebbel and her little girl Sarah. So glad she got to come to the Pink Impact conference.
- Awesome, awesome worship with David & Alena Moore this afternoon.
- Endless Light. One of my favorites!
- The afternoon session was devoted entirely to the prophetic. It’s always awesome to see people get ministered to in such a personal way.
- Josh took care of our sweet little kiddos all afternoon.
- My little Beau missed her mamma! It made me so happy to hold her and see her sweet little face when I got home this afternoon.
- She looked so cute in her new little star sweater and she was proud of it.
- Finally got the sensor tag off a shirt I bought on Valentine’s day!
- Josh wasn’t offended that I took back the bracelets he got me for my birthday.
- Beau rode with me to the mall. We had a great time talking, worshipping, and singing princess songs.
- Willowbend play place. Both kids had fun and I enjoyed sitting and talking with Josh.
- Sarah Bennett, one of my fellow 4s & 5s teachers is celebrating her birthday today.
- Resting and relaxing on this sabbath Friday evening.
- In bed by 9:30 p.m.! Yes!