As a stay at home mom to a four and two year old I stay very busy. I sit down to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but I usually eat as fast as I can. I feel like I need to finish before the kids do and because I serve them first, they always get a pretty good head start on me, so I’ve learned how to wolf down a PB&J in about 2 minutes. It’s more about knowing that I need to eat to stay alive than it is about savoring each bite. That is subject to change though. For instance, if Josh takes me out to a nice restaurant and we’ve got a sitter for the kids, I’m much more likely to slow down and enjoy my food.
Last summer we finally got to try the Lonesome Dove restaurant in Fort Worth. Dinner was amazing, but I’ll never forget the dessert. Warm Ancho Chile Chocolate Cake. It was the best dessert we’ve ever ordered. This cake literally melts in your mouth. No need to chew, just put a piece on your tongue and let it slowly dissolve as your taste buds thank you for letting them experience what the food will be like at the feast in heaven.
God’s word is likened to food several times through out the Bible, and Jeremiah 15:16 is one of my favorites of all those times.
Your words were found, and I ate them, And Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart; For I am called by Your name, O Lord God of hosts.
I think sometimes we read God’s word like we wolf down PBJs. We know we should, so we do, but it’s more about just surviving than it is savoring… we read through it as fast as we can so we can check it off our to do list, but God wants us to meditate on His word. He wants His word to be the joy and rejoicing of our hearts and that’s not going to happen if we are in such a hurry to get through it that we scarf it down instead of letting it roll around in our mouths, tantalizing each taste bud.
I don’t remember what I had last Tuesday for lunch because I didn’t spend anytime meditating on it, but I remember that chocolate cake and always will. We meditated on it, let it slowly dissolve in our mouths, and it changed us! When you read through the Bible and don’t spend anytime mediating on what you’ve read you will not remember it, you won’t get any revelation from it, but if you do spend time meditating on it, it will change you!
Slow down and savor God’s word today. If a verse, a word, a story stands out to you then dig into it, study it, talk about it, think about it, spend a few hours or even a few days meditating on it and it will mark you forever.
Joshua 1:8 (NLT) Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do.
- God’s word is the joy and rejoicing of my heart.
- When we meditate on God’s word we will be prosperous and succeed in all you do.
- The more you dig into God’s word, the more you get out of it!
- Warm Ancho Chile Chocolate Cake.
- I get to be a stay at home mom and administrative assistant!
- PB&Js. Not savory, but they do help me survive.
- Very happy morning spent with Josh.
- Had to take our car back to the shop, so we got to lounge around at Nana & Papa’s all morning and afternoon.
- Senor Tequilla’s for lunch!
- Josh’s grandpa Bradley Owen (BO) was born 92 years ago today! Beau’s namesake!
- Car was ready to go by 3 so we were able to drive home this afternoon.
- Roger. He always works so hard to get us the best deal on car repairs.
- We won’t have to miss Gus’ first football game tomorrow!
- Kids did great on the drive.
- Enjoyed talking, planning, and praying with Josh for 4 hours.
- Chic Fil A for dinner!
- Made it home safely.
- The way my house smells.
- We didn’t know Beau snuck out the door when we were unloading the car and couldn’t find her for 2 very scary minutes. She had climbed back into the car. So glad she is safe and sound!
- Got our hotel booked for Santa Barbara.
- Papa helped me on my hotel search.
- Gus was so excited and so thankful that he got a new Sonic the Hedgehog game for the Wii.
- My nephew Justin is going to get to go to the Ken Blount Ministries Men’s Summit in Colorado!
- Got my new wallet all set up and gave my old one to Beau. She spent about 30 minutes setting her new wallet up with some of my old cards.
- Had a very relaxing, very lazy, very memorable trip to Tulsa.
- Papa getting such a big kick out of “Ain’t Nobody Got Time For That.”
- My husband did all of the unpacking when we got home!