I know it’s almost Easter, but today I found myself reading the beginning of the Christmas story.
In Luke 1 the angel Gabriel appears to Mary, an unwed virgin, and lets her know that she is going to conceive the son of God in her womb, and that His name will be called Jesus. Mary asks him how that’s even possible and this is his reply,
Luke 1:35-37 And the angel answered and said to her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you; therefore, also, that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God. Now indeed, Elizabeth your relative has also conceived a son in her old age; and this is now the sixth month for her who was called barren. For with God nothing will be impossible.”
Apparently, the news that Elizabeth was pregnant had not gotten around to Mary yet. Maybe Elizabeth hadn’t had time to post her ultrasound pictures on Facebook or was waiting to announce it at a big reveal party complete with blue cupcakes… or maybe she was trying to keep it a secret for as long as possible… who knows, but now, thanks to Gabriel the cat was out of the bag.
Elizabeth was known for being barren, like Alexander was known for being great. She was actually called Elizabeth The Barren. I read somewhere that she probably got that nickname because Elizabeth was a common name and adding “The Barren” to it would help people know which Elizabeth they were talking about if they were bringing her up in a conversation. Since barrenness was what Elizabeth was known for, when Mary heard that she was pregnant, her faith was immediately strengthened. Instead of asking Gabriel for more details on how this whole immaculate conception thing was going to work, she simply replied, ” “Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word.”
I was so encouraged by the angels words to Mary today… encouraged to keep sharing my story. God has done some amazing things in my life and there are people out there, reading this blog or sitting next to me on a park bench, that need their faith strengthened. They just need a little push to get them to that place where instead of asking “how is this possible” they start declaring, “let it be to me, according to God’s word” and my story could be what gives them that push.
1 Peter 5:9 Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world.
Sometimes, people just need to know that they aren’t the only ones out there who have experienced the suffering that they are going through. They need to know that someone else went through the same type of thing and God pulled them out of it.
I know there are mothers out there who have lost a child and haven’t figured out how to heal and move forward that my story can help. Maybe you were a single mom at one point and now you are happily remarried, someone out there needs to hear your story. They need to know that God saw you through those years when you were alone, and helped you find the love of your life. Someone needs to hear about the son that you prayed for until he came back to the Lord, someone needs to hear about the time that God came through when doctors and medicine weren’t cutting it, someone needs to hear about how God delivered you from an addiction to pornography, someone needs to hear about the time that you heard exactly what you needed to hear from God.
Someone needs a push, and if God’s ever worked in your life, your are a qualified pusher… so start pushing.
- We can stand against the enemy by sharing stories of God’s goodness with others.
- I am a qualified pusher.
- The Christmas story is good all year round.
- Really been enjoying 1 Peter 5.
- Spring has officially sprung!
- Beau, Me, and Gus all have spring birthdays! Love this time of year and all the life celebrating we get to do.
- I don’t have allergies.
- The red buds are budding.
- The grass is turning green!
- The trees are turning green!
- Mountain by United.
- Played all morning on the floor with my kids.
- Beau took a nearly 3 hour nap this afternoon.
- Got Beau’s bedskirt to finally look like it looks in the magazine.
- Found just what I needed to complete Beau’s birthday party table at Hobby Lobby today.
- Gus happened to spot a stuffed Mario & Luigi right when we walked in to Hobby Lobby. They entertained him and Beau for the 30 minutes that it took me to find just what I needed.
- Did a dress rehearsal on the table with all of the decorations and it finally matches what I’ve imagined in my head since I started planning the party a few months ago.
- Leftovers for dinner.
- Watching Josh & Gus play football together. It makes them both so happy.
- Beau is pretty much like the fish on Finding Nemo that likes bubbles… she gets so excited when it’s time to go outside and blow bubbles.
- When Beau lets me hold her in the swing and I get to feel her little soft face against mine.
- Hearing Josh read Gus his Bible.
- American Idol night!
- John, Paul, George & Ringo.
- Til There Was You.
- Finally, a night to hang out with Josh!
- Saw a prayer answered today that I had prayed about just minutes before.