When I was in junior high Wednesday night was my favorite night of the week because on Wednesday nights I got to go to Oneighty. Oneighty was my youth group at church and it was not your average youth group. We had indoor basketball courts, food courts, all kinds of games, a cool band, and my favorite part- lots of boys from other schools! I got really involved and had more friends at church than I did at school by the time I got to my junior year. When I was in 7th grade I went through a discipleship program and when I finished the program I, along with all of the other kids that finished that semester took the Oneighty pledge. I stood in front of our whole church and pledged to keep myself pure. I promised I wouldn’t smoke, drink alcohol, do drugs, or have sex before marriage and by the grace of God I kept all of those promises. I have never tasted alcohol so I have never experienced what it’s like to be drunk… or even tipsy.
I have seen it portrayed on television enough times to know that when a person is drunk their emotions are magnified. They see things that aren’t there. They hear people say things that they didn’t really say or they misunderstand what’s being said. Their perception of reality is altered- for instance, they think that shoving the big dude next to them is hilarious, but it’s really not, it’s actually quite dangerous! Yeah. I don’t get the whole drunk thing, but that’s not where I’m going with this.
I used to think that in 1 Peter 5:8 when it says to be sober and to be vigilant that it was talking about staying away from alcohol, but really it’s talking about being sober-minded. It’s telling us to think straight, not like a silly drunk, because we have an enemy who is roaming around looking for those he can devour.
How do we think straight and keep our minds sober? The answer is found in the previous verse.
1 Peter 5:7 (AMP) Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully.
When we are carrying around stressful burdens that we weren’t made to carry around it’s like we are intoxicated. Every problem is magnified, we can’t think clearly, and our perception of God’s word is altered. We have on “beer goggles” and it’s hard to see past whatever is weighing us down.
You can avoid being physically drunk by avoiding alcoholic beverages, you can avoid being drunk in your thinking by avoiding caring. The more cares, concerns, worry, and anxiety we take on the more wasted our souls get.
I don’t know about you, but I would not want to find myself face to face with a lion while intoxicated. I don’t think it would end well. God cares for us affectionately and wants us to be sober minded so Satan can not devour us.
Anxiety intoxicates your soul. Stay sober today! Pledge to keep yourself free from worry and concerns. We serve a big God, don’t magnify your problems, magnify Him!
- God cares for me affectionately and cares about me watchfully!
- God is teaching me how to be sober minded.
- The Oneighty pledge.
- I kept my temple pure. No drugs, alcohol, or pre martial sex.
- 36 years ago today my sister Becky was born!!
- I never would have guessed me and Becky would have little boys 8 days apart!
- Becky always took me and Zach to do fun stuff with her and her kids… The Zoo, Big Splash!
- Becky is serving God and raising her kids to serve God!
- The man responsible for making me laugh the hardest I’ve ever laughed, James Randolph, is celebrating his birthday today. Great guy, big heart, and awesome testimony!
- We said goodbye to Gus’ Florida bound preschool teacher. We are going to miss her, but Gus has been so blessed to have her as his teacher the last two years.
- Beau thought she was pretty big getting to sit by bubba at school during the going away party. She colored and had muffins just like the big kids.
- Got Beau some cute summer shoes at Target.
- Easter basket shopping!
- Chic Fil A date with my pretty girl.
- Got Gus an official football and some eye black for Saturday’s big game! I can’t wait!
- Clean house!
- Found Gus a pack of Super Mario stickers that totally made his day! $1 well spent!
- Productive afternoon at the office.
- Ratatouille for dinner!
- Wonderful evening catching up with my friends and fellow pastor’s wives.
- Got to spend some time praying for sweet Anna and her big move to NFW.
- Brad & Amy Everett welcomed their new baby girl into the world today!
- I made $83 on Ebay today! Whoo!
- My brother and his family got to experience Disney World for the first time today and they loved it!
- Awesome videos of my little niece Ava meeting Mickey & Stitch!
- Very satisfying bowl of cereal before bed.
- Josh folded a bunch of laundry for me while I was gone.