I have to admit I know nothing about astronomy. I don’t think I’ve ever spotted the little dipper, or even the big one, but this morning God blew me away with a star.
I usually start my quiet time with a worship song and today I chose “A Million Suns” by Hillsong United. I’ve only heard it a few times, so I pulled up the lyrics and began to sing to Jesus,You shine like a million suns ablaze Wrapped in eternal light and praise Jesus, the first the last, the bright and morning star.
I’ve heard Jesus referred to as the bright and morning star before, but I just couldn’t get over those words today, so I began to study Revelation 22:16, I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this message for the churches. I am both the source of David and the heir to his throne. I am the bright and morning star.
The planet Venus has been given the name “morning star” because it appears in the east before the sunrise, as though heralding the coming of the morning. The ancient Greek names for the planet are “light bringer” and “dawn-bringer.”
On July 7, 2012 our son Felix was born still, I’ve never experienced anything so heart breaking. Before the loss I would usually read my Bible before bed and pray whenever I got a chance- in the car after I dropped my four year old off at school or while I was putting on my make up, but after losing that precious baby, I knew I would have to start my mornings with God or I wouldn’t be able to get through the day, so I set my alarm for 6:00 a.m. and have kept it set since.
I remember so vividly waking up those first few mornings, walking into my living room, and seeing a very bright star shining in through one of our high windows. It was beautiful. It struck me so, I even mentioned it to Josh. I didn’t know until today, that the star that greeted me every morning on my way to strengthen myself in the Lord was not just a bright star, it was Venus- the morning star.
Jesus called himself the bright and morning star, because He is the light bringer, the dawn bringer, He is the one who heralds the coming of the morning. He brought light to the darkest time of my life. He called in a new dawn, a new day, a new joy.
I was overcome with his love for me this morning. How wonderful of him to give me a home with really high ceilings and really high windows that face the east so that I would be able to experience the beauty of the bright and morning star. How wonderful of Him to make it shine so brightly that I had to take notice. How wonderful of Him to show me today the significance of that star.
It is perhaps the most beautiful object in nature; it succeeds the darkness of the night; it brings on the day – and as it mingles with the first rays of the morning, it seems to be so joyful, cheerful, exulting, bright, that nothing can be better adapted to remind us of Him who came to lead on eternal day. (Barnes)
Gaze upon THE bright and morning star today, let Him welcome the dawn into the darkest areas of your life.
- Jesus, the bright and morning star!
- “A Million Suns.”
- Venus- God gives such beautiful object lessons.
- My high windows.
- The way that star stood out to me and made me smile on those dark mornings before I knew it’s significance.
- Being overwhelmed with God’s love for me.
- Beau was preaching the cross to us this morning at breakfast. She pretty much has it down. Jesus died on the cross, He loves us, Jesus is alive!
- Josh took Gus to school and let Beau ride along so I had some time to myself this morning.
- Extra time to get my makeup just right and actually ran a brush through my hair!
- Fridge & Pantry full!
- Ran into my friend Briana at Target and she gave me a 5% off my entire purchase coupon.
- My “to do” list for work is completely done!
- Josh organized the garage, fertilized the yard, and poisoned some fire ants. He works hard for the money.
- My parents made it to Tulsa safely!
- Gussy got a new book and a bunch of new heroes and villians from Grammy & Grampy!
- Beau got the “Guess How Much I Love You” book and a little stuffed bunny to go with it. She loves her bunny and had to sleep with him.
- Our old dog Norah came to visit too!
- Gussy had his first official flag football practice.
- Seriously, he was so cute in his cleats, tall socks, big white shorts, gray hoodie, long blonde hair… I can’t get enough of that little guy!
- Gus’ friend Alex is on the same team as him so I get to see my friend Sayra at all the games/practices.
- Gus’ coach happens to go to Gateway Frisco and he was great with the kids!
- I was able to convince Gus that purple was a cool team color by showing him pics of Adrian Peterson.
- Yummy dinner at Whataburger.
- Beau was in a very, very talkative mood at dinner. Cute watching her and my dad have a little conversation together.
- Josh is looking good with his new hair cut!
- I am 2 for 2 on my American Idol kick off predictions! I love winning.
- Fun night hanging out with my mom and dad.