My son Gus started listing off facts about himself one day in the car. It went something like this. Fact #1, I love my mamma. Fact #2, I love my dida. Fact #3, I don’t like waiting. I think fact #3 made it in there because we were stopped at a stop light when he started making his list, but it’s a true fact, he really does NOT like waiting. I don’t know very many people who do. I sure don’t, but it’s inevitable, we all have to wait on things. Lights to change, doctor’s appointments to start, a table to open up, our turn to ride Dumbo the flying elephant, the wheel on your computer screen to stop spinning… waiting is just part of life.
In Daniel chapter 10 we find Daniel waiting. For 21 days He has been waiting for God to answer his prayer. Finally, an angel of the Lord appears and lets him know that God heard his prayer the very first time he prayed it and he had been sent to help him. So why the hold up? What took this angel 21 days to get there?
Verse 13 says, But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days; and behold, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I had been left alone there with the kings of Persia.
The answer was delayed because of an evil angelic being. He was working against the angel that God sent to deliver the answer to Daniel’s prayer. What if Daniel had got tired of waiting? What if on day 18 he decided to quit praying and quit expecting an answer? Would his prayer have ever been answered?
What are you waiting on? How long has it been now? A week, a month, a year, several years? Maybe you keep telling yourself it’s just not happening because it’s not God’s timing, but have you ever thought about the fact that there could be powers and principalities, rulers of spiritual darkness that are working to keep your prayer from being answered? Ephesians 6:12 lets us know that there is evil at work in the world and it’s wrestling against us. Thankfully, right after that verse Paul tells us all about the armor that God has given us so we can withstand in the evil days and then in verse 18 he says,
praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints—
Prayers prayed in the mighty name of Jesus have the power to make demons run and flee, so don’t stop praying them.
The answer you have been waiting for could be just a day away, persevere and take authority over any evil forces the devil might be using to delay it. Daniel never stopped praying. He was watchful and had great perseverance. He was persistent. He waited, but he actively waited and because of that, the answer to his prayer could not be stopped. Not to mention he learned some really valuable lessons along the way like how much he really wanted what he was praying for and how to pray effectual, fervent prayers.
Fact #4 Prayer matters.
- God has given us authority over principalities, powers, and rulers of spiritual darkness.
- The reminder to be persistent in prayer.
- God can use our waiting periods to develop us and develop our dreams.
- I got to sleep in!
- Beau had her very first completely accident free day!! Same pair of undies all day!!
- 23 years ago today my beautiful niece Maleah was born.
- The super sweet and very encouraging message my friend Gena sent me yesterday.
- Beau’s nightstand arrived. So close to getting her big girl room all set up.
- The kids spent the whole morning playing in the box the nightstand arrived in.
- With my reward points I got Beau’s window treatments for $13!
- Beau is so quick to give compliments. She had to tell me how pretty my shirt and hair were today.
- Sabbath Friday!! I love Fridays!!
- Duck Tales the Movie this afternoon with Augustus. Used to love watching that one with my little brother.
- Awesome nap on the couch.
- Buy one get one free on Disney plush characters. Got Beau a Rapunzel and Pascal for Valentines Day!
- Josh broke his fast so we got to go to In N Out Burger tonight! And it was awesome!
- Had my first Chic Fil A chocolate chip cookie. Best cookie in the world.
- Shoe shopping with Beau.
- Lilo & Stich Movie Night. First time any of us had seen it. Very cute!
- Beau LOVED it. She’s never sat through a whole movie until tonight.
- She let me hold her through most of it. I was in heaven.
- I so enjoyed spending every moment today with my wonderful little family.
- In honor of day 180… Oneighty! My youth group and my favorite place to be on Wednesday nights when I was a teenager.
- Turning off the TV and spending the night talking with Josh about how much we love our kids.
- Found a hilarious video message Gus made me on my phone. Those are so fun to find.
- My nephew gets to preach his first message this weekend!
- In bed by 10… what a restful weekend.