So I know that Christmas is over, but I read a verse today and it got me thinking about a couple of famous Christmas characters. You know, Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen, Comet and Cupid and Donder and Blitzen and then of course there’s the most famous of all, Rudolph. Santa’s reindeer. The animals he depends on to take him all over the world on Christmas Eve. Have you ever wondered why he chose reindeer? Why not Polar bears, penguins, or seals that do tricks? Or beautiful white horses?
I don’t know who came up with the idea, but whoever it was really thought it through. If you are going to be driving a sleigh and landing on a bunch of roofs with different textures and weather conditions, a team of reindeer is who you want on your side. Why? Because of their feet. God designed the feet of a reindeer like all terrain tires. The footpads of a reindeer adapt to help them get the best traction in whatever weather situation they find themselves in. In the winter their foot pads shrink and tighten, and the rim of their hooves cut into the snow and ice to keep them from falling. In the summer when the ground is damp, their feet turn into sponges to absorb water to keep them from slipping. Just what Santa was looking for to ensure the safety of himself and his sleigh… 36 all terrain feet.
Maybe he got the idea from David.
Psalm 18:33 He makes my feet like the feet of deer, And sets me on my high places.
Although David’s not talking about a reindeer, he is talking about a deer. A sure-footed, swift-footed deer. An animal that can climb on rocks and mountains safely. An animal that’s feet are so firm they can walk and even run on the rockiest of all terrains. An animal that is not afraid of heights, but finds refuge and resources among them. An animal who can escape it’s predators by ascending to places the predator can’t reach.
God makes our feet like the feet of a deer. He wants us to be sure-footed no matter what the terrain around us looks like. He wants us to be able to ascend to high places and share His perspective. He wants us to be able to swiftly escape attacks from the enemy. He wants us to come into His courts and seek refuge and resource. He wants us to be comfortable up high, to walk and run and not be afraid of falling.
I love how the message says it, Now I run like a deer; I’m king of the mountain. God made you king of the mountain, so don’t be afraid to climb it. He’s given you the perfect feet for it.
- He makes my feet like the feet of a deer!
- He sets me on my high places!
- I thought Gus would like this post so I read it to him and he said “I thought Santa picked reindeer because they can fly.” So cute!
- I finished my quiet time before the rest of the family was up so I went back to sleep for 15 minutes.
- Beau was filling in the blanks of the word declaration they do in her class. She is the…head! And not the…tail!
- Got a lot done before church this morning. Folded 2 loads of laundry and made a deposit at the bank.
- Gus got to be in my class at church. I love watching him play.
- Gus’ friend Connor was in his class today.
- A couple of boys were fighting over who got to sit by Gus. He’s a pretty likable little guy.
- Picnic lunch and Sesame street.
- Playing some abcmouse.com with Gussy.
- Lazy afternoon on the couch and in my PJs.
- A lady from church emailed me to let me know how much what Josh shared this week at church helped her and her husband.
- Gus discovered an old Toy Story gun he got when he was 2 is also a really fun arcade game. It was like getting a brand new toy.
- Beau let me hold for while she finished waking up from her nap.
- Found the recipe to Panera Bread’s mac n cheese.
- Cowboys got the Sunday night game, so I get to watch it… and it’s like a playoff game which makes it extra fun.
- Good letter “Z” writing practice for Gus. He didn’t know it was school work since he was writing “Buzz” and “Zurg.”
- Cold night outside, cozy by the fireplace inside.
- Gus helped Josh leave me the sweetest note on my phone.
- Beau tap dancing in her diaper and a pair of my shoes.
- I decided to really watch the game with Josh. No computer, no folding laundry, just sitting next to him fully engaged and I really enjoyed myself. The first game I’ve watched like that all season… too bad for the Cowboys.
- Beau really likes her new Cinderella placemat, plate, and silverware she got for Christmas from Nana & Papa.
- Me and Gus set a new record. 17 undropped passes with the Nerf football. Tomorrow we go for 20!
- I have glasses to put on at night after I take out my contacts.
- 23 countries have visited 10kreasons since August 2012.
- My niece Courtney for sharing her heart and her faith in God.
*For an even 10,000 reasons, my list goes down to 27 reasons a day from now until day 365.. I didn’t just forget one.