Thank the Lord for whoever invented the DVR. The Digital Video Recorder. Our family almost never watches live television because of it.
My favorite thing to watch on the DVR is football. My husband Josh is a pastor and works during most Dallas Cowboy’s games so it’s nice being able to record and watch them after church is over. Last night the Cowboys played Monday Night Football and since Josh had to work late we used the DVR to record the game. I was folding clothes and putting away dishes, while listening to the game. I didn’t have to be sitting on the couch watching to know how things were going, I just had to listen.
If the crowd was cheering really loud and Josh let the recording play, that meant the Cowboys did something good. If the crowd was cheering really loud and Josh started fast forwarding that meant the Cowboys did something bad.
For instance, Romo throws a pick, Josh starts fast forwarding immediately. Why? Because, he doesn’t want to watch the replay of his QB throwing an interception over and over again. That hurts as a fan. But if Romo throws a touch down, he’ll watch the replay as many times as they show it.
I bet Romo doesn’t fast forward through the bad plays when he’s watching game film. I’m sure he wants to, but he doesn’t. Why? Because he knows he can learn from it. He studies it. He probably studies the bad plays more than he does the good plays. What went wrong and how can I fix it?
Sometimes in life we can be like a football fan, when a trial comes our way we just want to fast forward our way through it. Trials will come, they never come from God, but He will use them to teach you something if you let Him. Don’t get in a hurry and try to skip over the bad plays like they never happened or they will happen again. Open your heart and let God teach you some things that you need to learn to avoid future bad plays. In every trial there are lessons to be learned and character traits to be developed, don’t fast forward and miss out on those invaluable things.
1 Peter 5:10 But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you.
- God will perfect, establish, strengthen & settle us if we don’t fast forward through trials.
- God doesn’t send trials, but will use them to help us grow.
- I’ve learned so much in the last 3 months.
- The DVR!
- Our joy is not tied to weather or not the Cowboys win or lose.. good thing to, because they are off to a bad start!
- Enjoyed every minute of the morning with my sweet Peep!
- I let Beau decide what we were going to do while Gus was at school. She picked bubbles, swing set, playing babies, and of course books!
- Gus had a great day at school! He enjoyed getting to be “student of the week.”
- Another beautiful day, and my iPhone tells me we won’t get into the 90s at all this week!
- Got in the mood to organize and decided to bless my husband and clean his office.
- After cleaning the office I had time to organize all of the ministry stuff in the garage.
- The kids had fun playing out in the garage while I cleaned.
- I didn’t get to work out this morning, but I probably burned 500 calories moving boxes. I actually got sweaty!
- Productive work day. All the things on my to-do list checked off.
- I have to wake Beau a few minutes early on Gus’ school days and she is always so sweet about it.
- When Beau pulled my blender out of a cabinet and it shattered, no one was injured!
- Made a tasty dinner for my family tonight.
- Gus insists I smell him every night after his bath.
- Went on a walk tonight and Beau talked the whole time about flowers.
- I love it when good people happen to bad things – Jeremy Pearsons
- My niece and nephew finally found a house to rent!
- Listened to our presbytery this morning. It’s encouraging every time I hear it.
- Remembered to register to vote today!
- Josh & I have learned how to fight fair.
- It’s not near as hard for me to say “I’m sorry” that it was in the first few years of our marriage.
- Josh made me laugh so hard I cried tonight.
- Listening to Gus laugh and have fun with his dad at bed time tonight.
- Q: What is a puppy’s favorite movie snack? A: Pupcorn – Gus