Today we celebrated Memorial Day. We remembered the amazing men and women who selflessly gave their lives fighting for our country and since we had the day off we started our summer vacation. Summer in Texas means popsicles, sunscreen, watermelon, grilling, water slides, splash pads, and swimming pools.
When I was a kid I couldn’t wait to jump in a cold pool, but once I started caring about my hair I had to stop jumping in and start walking into the pool instead. Ankle deep, knee deep, waist deep, and finally shoulder deep… I can never do it fast, I always have to do it the brutal way- making each part of me experience the cold water at different times instead of dipping all the way in and just going for it. It takes me about 2 hours to wash, dry, and straighten my hair and getting it wet just isn’t worth it most of the time, BUT every once in a while I’ll take the kids to the pool on a day when I have to wash my hair anyway, so I’ll actually go all the way under and it makes swimming so much more enjoyable. It’s very freeing. I feel like Ariel or Missy Franklin instead of the mom who doesn’t want anyone splashing around her.
In Ezekiel 47 Ezekiel shares a really interesting vision he had in which Jesus is walking him through water that is pouring from the temple.
Verses 3-5 (MSG) He walked to the east with a measuring tape and measured off fifteen hundred feet, leading me through water that was ankle-deep. He measured off another fifteen hundred feet, leading me through water that was knee-deep. He measured off another fifteen hundred feet, leading me through water waist-deep. He measured off another fifteen hundred feet. By now it was a river over my head, water to swim in, water no one could possibly walk through.
The water Ezekiel was walking through represents the gospel of Jesus, the good news of Jesus, and the way it spread from Jerusalem all over the world. Then Ezekiel sees the kind of effects this water has on the trees that have roots that are being watered by it.
Verse 12 (NIV) Fruit trees of all kinds will grow on both banks of the river. Their leaves will not wither, nor will their fruit fail. Every month they will bear fruit, because the water from the sanctuary flows to them. Their fruit will serve for food and their leaves for healing.
The same water that Jesus led Ezekiel through is available for us to dive into every day. The gospel spread from Jerusalem to you. It’s the easiest to get your hands on that it’s ever been. The YouVersion Bible app has been installed on more than 69 million smart phones or tablets… for free! The water of the gospel of Jesus is probably right there on your nightstand or on the phone on your nightstand. But how deep in that water have you gone so far? Are you just sitting on the side and getting your feet wet? Are you ankle deep? Knee deep? Waist deep? Or are you totally immersed in it?
Maybe you’re not sure how to tell. Ask yourself these questions:
Is my life producing perpetual fruit? Do my leaves stay green no matter what season of life I am in? Is the fruit I am producing being used to help nurish and heal others?
A person that can answer yes, yes, yes, and yes to those questions is a person who isn’t afraid to get their hair wet. Don’t wade around in God’s word, jump in, get completely covered in it. It’s the only book you’ll ever read that can transform you into a fruit bearing, always in season, life giving, tree of beauty.
- The same water Jesus led Ezekiel through is available for us to dive into every day.
- The gospel spread!
- With roots being watered by the word we can be those fruit bearing, always in season, life giving trees!
- Writing this blog has pushed me from being knee or waste dip to fully immersed in God’s word.
- All of the selfless men and women who gave their lives serving our country. Amazing.
- Both of my grandpas fought in WW2 and returned home safely.
- Justin & Courtney. My nephew and niece Navy veterans.
- Summer is here!
- Charcoal grills.
- Water slides, splash pads, and swimming pools!
- Beau in her American flag swimming suit today. So unbelievably cute.
- Gus looking sweet in his new sunglasses.
- Set up the water slide in the back yard today.
- The kids had so much fun sliding together even though it was cloudy and windy. They were shivering and smiling all at the same time.
- Didn’t have to pick up any toys inside today because the kids played outside all day.
- Josh grilled chicken and corn for lunch.
- Made a very yummy, very healthy fruit salad.
- Josh grilled burgers and peppers for dinner.
- Got myself a new sun hat… can’t wait to wear it to the beach in just 34 days!
- Hot chocolate caramel brownies and ice cream for dessert.
- Toy Story 3 movie night. That movie gets me every single time… and several times. Well done Pixar, well done!
- I spent every moment of my day surrounded with my precious family.
- Nana said I was one of her favorite Bible teachers. She’s so sweet!!