I’m sure at some point while you were growing up you asked a Magic 8 Ball for some guidance.
Will so and so ask me to the dance? Is it certain.
Will I make the cheerleading squad? My sources say no.
Am I getting a new walkman for my birthday? Ask again later.
Not real reliable the old Magic 8 Ball.
In Exodus 28:30 you can read about the Urim and the Thummim, which were dice like objects used to determine the Lord’s will for His people… sort of like a Magic 8 Ball, only not magic and always accurate.
Bible scholars describe the dice as being four sided- 2 sides with the word yes, and 2 sides with the word no. If God’s people needed guidance they could ask the Lord a question, cast the objects and get their answer. 2 Yes’s meant, it is certain. 2 No’s meant, my sources say no. 1 Yes and 1 No meant, ask again later.
It would be pretty sweet if I had Urim and Thummim I could carry around in my purse. I would use it all of the time. Do these jeans look good on me? Are we going to get pregnant this month? Is my husband going to be late for dinner? A pair of loaded dice like that could really come in handy!
God doesn’t use the Urim and Thummim to speak to His people anymore, but He does still speak and He does it in an even better way. When Jesus left the earth He let us know that He wasn’t leaving us alone. The Holy Spirit was coming to be our helper. He replaced the need for a set of loaded dice. When we have questions and we need to hear from God, we have direct access to His Spirit. Can you imagine how hard it would be to hear from God if all we had was one pair of dice for everyone on earth? The waiting list to get a meeting with the priest in possession of those things would be impossible to get on. The Holy Spirit however, is available for anyone, anytime.
John 16:13 (NLT) When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own but will tell you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future.
To not ask the Holy Spirit for guidance and answers to your questions is like having a pair of loaded dice and never throwing them out there.
So often we want our pastor, our spouse, our councilor, our parents, or whoever to hear God for us, forgetting that the one with all of the accurate answers wants to speak directly to us. Remember, prayer is not just you talking to God it’s you listening to what the Holy Spirit is saying to you. God wants to speak, but YOU have to throw the dice.
Proverbs 16:33 We may throw the dice, but the LORD determines how they fall.
- The Holy Spirit!
- The very Spirit of God lives in us and wants to speak to us.
- The Holy Spirit is always accurate!
- Pastor Bob Yandian. Great Pastor and Bible teacher.
- Josh let me sleep in!
- Fridge and pantry are full!
- Gateway Frisco sent us home with a Hunger Pak last weekend and we got to fill it full of food for the Children’s Hunger Fund.
- We are blessed and can bless others!
- Beau was extra sweet and patient for our extra long grocery shopping trip.
- The sweet lady behind me while I was checking out that told me how smart Beau was and that I didn’t look old enough to have a 4 and 2 year old. Kind words go along way in brightening someone’s day!
- 5% off every Target purchase. Saved $20 today!
- The boys spend the morning doing yard work together.
- Gus & Josh’s lemonade after yard work tradition.
- Got a lot of work done this afternoon while Beau was napping.
- When I went to wake Beau up I found her in her closet reading books. She’s so CUTE!
- Beautiful, beautiful day!
- First grilling out night of the year.
- The smell of hotdogs and hamburgers on the grill.
- The kids were so happy to get to sit at the little picnic table under their swing set together.
- The burger Josh made me was delicious!
- Braum’s for dessert.
- Josh and I needed God to answer a question for us tonight, so we asked and right away He answered.
- Josh did bath time, book time, and bed time without me so I could have some time to get the bills paid and check book balanced.
- The Halls got their house rented out!
- Enjoyed my night with Josh laughing and watching our favorite shows together.
- Surprise check in the mail.
- Worked our little tails off today and tomorrow we sabbath!