10 years ago today I got my very favorite piece of jewelry… my engagement ring. After a surprise wake up call from some of my friends, a 4 hour drive from Tulsa to Dallas, a shopping spree at the Galleria, my first massage, manicure and pedicure and a day full of anticipation to see my boyfriend who was responsible for all of the adventure… I ended up at Papa Brothers on Lombardy Lane. I walked in and there he was. Long shaggy hair complete with suit and tie. We had an amazing dinner… I think… I don’t really remember the food because I knew that at any minute he was going to ask me to marry him. We ordered dessert, the waiter wiped the crumbs off of our table with his fancy crumb blade, and a few minutes later a tray of chocolate covered strawberries came out and sitting in the center was my ring. Josh got down one on knee and asked me to marry him. I of course said yes and he slid a beautiful round cut diamond ring onto my finger. I don’t have the dress I wore that night, or the heels, my nail polish from the manicure eventually chipped, I don’t have a picture of the strawberries, or a receipt from our dinner, but I still have my ring.
I was excited to find out this week that God has placed a ring on my finger too. In Luke 15 Jesus tells the story of the prodigal son and in verse 22 when he has returned, the father rejoicing tells his servants to bring him three things for his son. A robe, a ring, and sandals. Each item has a spiritual meaning, but today I just want to focus on that ring.
Why a ring? A ring in scripture represents authority.
Esther 8:8 You yourselves (Mordecai & Esther) write a decree concerning the Jews, as you please, in the king’s name, and seal it with the king’s signet ring; for whatever is written in the king’s name and sealed with the king’s signet ring no one can revoke.
Mordecai had no authority on his own, but because the king gave him his ring he now operated in the same authority that the king himself operated in. Whatever was written and sealed with that ring could not be revoked. That’s some pretty serious authority.
The prodigal son received a ring from his father so everyone would know that he was not coming back as a servant, but as a son who operated in the same authority that his father did. When we made the decision to live for God and obey His word He put a ring on our finger enabling us to walk in the same authority that Jesus walked in when He was on the earth.
He also gave us a something that was written in His name and when sealed with our ring can not be revoked. You probably own a copy of it… it’s called the Holy Bible, the written word of God!
Have you used your ring of authority today? Have you taken the promises found in God’s word and sealed them with it? It’s not a bad idea, because whatever you seal in the name of Jesus can not be revoked!
Matthew 18:18 Assuredly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.
We have been given authority to trample over all the power of the enemy, let’s walk in it! Let’s take the priceless ring that God has placed on our finger and get to sealin’!
- The ring of authority God has placed on my finger.
- We have the power to trample over all the power of the enemy.
- Whatever we bind on earth will be bound in heaven, whatever we loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.
- The written Word of God when sealed with my ring can not be revoked!
- My engagement ring.
- Pastor Richard & Nancy Salazar for taking Josh shopping at the diamond district in LA and helping him find my ring.
- Chris & Lisa Munch who drove me to Dallas and all around Dallas to help Josh accomplish his mission.
- Josh has always gone above and beyond for me.
- Found the perfect black dress and shoes to buy for that very special night.
- Papa Bros. I’ve been back since and was able to focus on the food… it’s amazing.
- Josh asked me to marry him!!! I can still see him down on one knee in his suit and long hair.
- We planned most of our wedding on the drive back to Tulsa that night and got married 4 months later! Yay for short engagements!
- Beau kept telling me I was “pity” this morning… even though I didn’t feel “pretty” in my robe and glasses.
- Josh took the girls out to lunch!
- 5th St Cafe. Always a treat!!
- Beau shared some of her raspberry cupcake with me. I’m not a big fan of cupcakes but this was no ordinary cupcake. It was divine.
- Got 2 blogs written this afternoon so I’ll be able to take some time off of writing while in Tulsa.
- Gus had an all green, tooth fairy meeting day at school! He said she was beautiful.
- The cold, gloomy morning turned into a bright, beautiful afternoon.
- Gussy got his hair cut! Nice being able to see his eyes for a change.
- Splitting a banana split from Double Dip with my 3 favorite people in all of the world.
- The nuts on the banana splits at Double Dip are SO good… it’s nuts.
- The credit card machine was down as we got our ice cream for free!
- I Only Have Eyes For You. Good song Josh used to woo me with back in the day.
- Yummy dinner!
- Josh filled my car up with gas and the gift card my mom sent was enough to cover it all and to buy road trip snacks for tomorrow.
- Josh & Beau making me and Gus laugh so hard tonight we almost spit out our ice cream.