1 Corinthians 9:26 (NLT) … I am not just shadowboxing.
Shadowbox – to box with an imaginary opponent especially as a form of training.
Wii Boxing is a favorite game around our house. My five year old Gus will take off his shirt and play until he’s worked himself into a sweat. He faces each imaginary opponent with crazy amounts of intensity. He starts throwing punches into the air as soon as the match starts and he doesn’t stop until the match is over. It’s pretty entertaining to watch. His form is terrible, but it doesn’t really matter because the guy he’s up against isn’t real and neither is the Mii he created to represent himself. It’s an imaginary fight… more for fun than for anything else… except maybe a good elbow workout.
The fight Paul was in was not imaginary. He wasn’t up against someone who didn’t really exist. He wasn’t throwing punches into the air. He wasn’t just putting on a show. He wasn’t just shadowboxing.
He was up against a very real opponent, the same opponent we are all up against. Satan. Weather you want to believe it or not, he’s real, and we are living in his world as of this moment. The good news is Satan has already been defeated. Jesus took the fight against Him and won. Sin has no power over us, death has been defeated and we have been given authority to overcome all of the power of the enemy. Yet, we are still in a fight. We have to contend for the victory that Jesus won for us.
We are not called to shadowbox. We need to be taking real shots at our real enemy. We can’t afford to stay in training mode forever, we have to start actually hitting something other than air… using something other than our fists. We gotta fight this fight with everything in us using God’s word as our weapon.
Isaiah 55:11 (NLT) It is the same with my word. I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it.
The word of God is powerful and sharper than any two edged sword. It packs a punch- a real punch, a punch that will knock the enemy off of his feet.
After we delivered our son stillborn last year I was devastated, but more determined than ever to take aim at the enemy and beat the daylights out of him everyday with the word of God. I threw real punches directed right at him and the fear, doubt, sadness, confusion, and darkness that he was trying to take me down with. He’s resilient. He would get back up and try again, but as long as I kept telling him what God said he had to flee. He became more and more worn down and it became harder and harder for him to stand.
Whatever you find yourself up against today- infertility, loss, fear, sickness, discouragement, stress… realize that the enemy behind what you are up against is real, and to take out a real enemy you need to throw real punches. Don’t just throw some positive words up, say a little half hearted prayer or gripe about what’s going on- you’ll be wasting your energy punching the air. You need to fill your heart and mind with God’s word and strike some serious blows against him. Real, hard, perfectly aimed, forthright, and intentional blows that leave you standing in the center ring, Jesus holding up your glove, Satan T.K.O.’ed.
- God’s word never returns void, but accomplishes the purpose for which it was sent!
- Sin has no hold on me.
- Death has no sting.
- All authority to be victorious against our enemy has been given to us.
- “Love Is War” by Hillsong United.
- Wii Boxing!
- Heard some old hymns on the way to church this morning… the kind my Grandpa Wagner liked. Made me smile thinking about him singing in heaven.
- Nice Sunday afternoon nap.
- Great day for swimming at the pool.
- The amount of entertainment a pool noodle from the dollar store provided Gus today.
- The kid’s little tan lines.
- The elaborate list of games my dad has come up with to play at our family reunion this weekend. Him and my mom always makes things fun and special.
- In one week Josh & I will be enjoying 75 degree weather, palm trees, shopping, and spontaneity!
- Tasty fish taco for lunch.
- My hard working husband pulled a 12 hour day today! Man, I appreciate him!
- When Beau smiles with her tongue out.
- Left overs for dinner.
- Chili’s chips and salsa to go.
- The cute little puppies that kept the kids entertained while we were waiting on our chips.
- Driving around to some Little Praise Party with Beau singing and doing motions in the back seat.
- Pony tail holders. I’m going to need lots of them the next few days since I decided to be lazy and not dry my hair tonight.
- Josh got home just in time to tell Gus goodnight and tuck him in bed.
- Food Network Star night with Josh!
- Sweet message from a 10kreasons reader.
- “Chicka Chicka Boom Boom” Beau chooses it every night for one of her bedtime books.
- Got a response to an e-mail I sent to someone a while ago that I figured had been forgotten! Made my night!
- I read the baby can now hear voices in the womb. I shared that with Gus & Beau and they had to talk to my tummy tonight before bed. This little baby is already so loved!