5 years ago today my first born took his very first breath. When the doctor laid Gussy’s slippery 9 pound, 2 ounce body on my chest all I could do was laugh. The spirit of joy filled my heart and bubbled over into the entire hospital room. It was one of the happiest moments of my life. The son we had prayed for and waited what seemed like forever for was finally here. He was perfect in every way.
The same joy that came over me the first time I laid eyes on him, hasn’t worn off. He lights up the room wherever he is and he makes me smile and laugh every single day.
Last July we delivered our second son still born. One of the most difficult moments of that extremely difficult time was driving home from the hospital. The devastation hit me the hardest when we were a few blocks away from our house. I didn’t know how I was going to be able to walk through our front door and try to keep it together in front of our two children who had no idea what we just went through. I felt so cheated and so unbelievably empty handed. My husband pulled over and we took a few minutes to try to compose ourselves. My mother and father in law met us in the driveway and all that “composure” I had mustered up immediately left. I sobbed into their arms. I knew Gus was inside waiting to see me, so I dried up as best as I could and headed to his playroom. I got down on my knees and hugged him for as long as he would let me. The empty handed feeling left. I was so sad we didn’t have Felix, but that joy that Gus carries around with him filled my heart like it did the day he was born.
I will never, ever forget that hug and the miraculous amount of healing that God did in my heart through it. He used my little 4 year old to minister joy to me countless times over those next few weeks. His mind didn’t know I was hurting, but his spirit did.
Psalm 127:3 Children are a gift from the Lord; they are a reward from Him.
Your children are gifts from God. He put them in your life to bless you, not to annoy you. Yes, they are still in training, but God can and will use them to minister to you and your family. Don’t overlook them. Don’t think that just because they are younger than you that you can’t learn from them. Listen to them. Create an environment where they can operate in the gifts God has placed inside of them. Treat them like the rewards they are.
1 Timothy 4:12 Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young…
Gus has only been around for 5 years, but He’s got a real, sweet, and inspiring relationship with God. I always want him to look up to me, but I also want him to know that I look up to him. I don’t know if a highly trained councelor or the greatest minister in the world could have done for me what my son did that day in less than a minute.
Someday I’ll tell Gus about his little brother Felix and someday I’ll tell him how God used his spirit of joy to help heal my heart. He truly is a gift to our family and a constant reminder that God loves me so much he rewarded me with the best little boy a mamma could ask for.
- Joseph Augustus Blount. God went way above all we could ask or think with that little guy.
- 9 pounds and 2 oz and he came out after only 10 minutes of pushing. Super easy labor.
- He’s been excited about life for as long as I known him.
- He has brought us so much joy since the moment we laid eyes on him.
- He loves to laugh!
- He was such a good little baby. Slept good, ate good, never cried.
- His sweet hug that helped me get through the hardest day of my life.
- He was a tank when he was little. So chubby and so darn cute.
- His hair. That kid has always had an awesome head of hair.
- He is a great complimenter. He tells me I’m beautiful at least once a day.
- He is so smart! He’s always blowing us away with how sharp he is.
- He loves God with all of His heart! His relationship with God really is inspiring.
- He’s fearless.
- He was born to be a big brother.
- He’s sensitive to the Holy Spirit.
- He loves Laffy Taffy jokes.
- He’s so healthy and always has been.
- His passion. I don’t think I’ve ever been around a kid that is quite as passionate as he is.
- He is ALL boy!
- He loves to write songs for Jesus.
- When he grows up he wants to be a firefighter that teaches kids at church and plays football sometimes.
- Having him helped me realize how much my heavenly father actually loves me.
- We have hours and hours and hours of very entertaining home videos of him. He’s always loved to entertain.
- He could talk in full sentences at 18 months. He’s a great communicator.
- He has been my little buddy for 5 years now! I’m so glad we are waiting one more year to start him in kindergarden. I’m not ready for my buddy be at school 5 days a week.
- Our bedtime routine. I treasure all of his giggles, his kisses, and the sweet conversations we have while his hair is still wet from bath time, he smells fantastic, and he’s in his little jammies.
- He is a reward from God, meaning God loves me ALOT!