I’ve always heard Psalm 23:6 from the New King James, Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me, All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever.
We use the word “surely” a lot when we hope something is sure to turn out the way we want it to, but we actually aren’t sure at all.
Surely he didn’t forget about the party! Surely the wait at the restaurant can’t be as long as the hostess says it will be! Surely the rain will clear out by morning. Surely the new Super Man movie will be better than the last Super Man movie. Surely she knows those jeans are not her size!
But, “surely” in Psalm 23:6 isn’t that kind of wishful thinking surely.
Psalm 23:6 (Young’s Literal Translation) Only — goodness and kindness pursue me, All the days of my life, And my dwelling [is] in the house of Jehovah, For a length of days!
ONLY goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life and I can be sure of it.
Last night we celebrated my son’s 5th birthday with our family in Tulsa. It was a lot of fun, but a lot of work. When I got in bed after the party was over and all of the guests were gone, my whole body was tired, but it was a satisfying tired. I was so happy that I got to do something special for my sweet little boy. As I laid there trying to fall asleep I thought about how Gus will not be under my roof forever. If he decides to go to college I’ve only got 12 more years of him “dwelling” in my house. BUT as long as he is dwelling with me, I will make it my job to see that goodness and kindness follow him. That doesn’t mean he is never going to get spankings or that he will always get what he wants, but because he’s my son and because I love him I will try to make everything I do concerning him be done in goodness and kindness.
God is the exact same way with us and we don’t have just 12 more years under His roof, we have eternity to dwell with Him!
He will never stop following us with goodness and kindness. He will never start following us with condemnation or disappointment. He may discipline us, but it will be done out of goodness. He may not always answer our prayers like we want him to, but it will be done out of kindness. We can be SURE that God ONLY follows us with goodness and kindness, every day for all of our days.
- Goodness follows me all of my days.
- Kindness follows me all of my days.
- God allows me to dwell in His house forever.
- I’ve still got at least 12 years of Gus dwelling at my house.
- Learn so much about God’s love when you have your own children to love.
- God does everything, even discipline, out of love and kindness.
- All of the different versions on the Bible.
- Got two extra hours of sleep this morning.
- The kids got to get some flaming hot donuts from Krispy Kreme today.
- Beautiful weather today.
- The next time we come back to Tulsa the pool will be ready for swimming.
- Yummy lunch at Chic Fil A.
- Restful afternoon.
- Went for a walk with Josh and the kids at Haikey Creek.
- Loving all of the green in green country.
- Watching the kids be kids. Dragging sticks on the trail, observing butterflies, running, and being entertained by the outdoors.
- The appreciation I have for tall trees now that I’m a Texan.
- Gus found an abandoned soccer ball. He had a great time kicking it around in a huge field of green grass.
- Gus enjoyed playing with some of his new toys he received at his party last night.
- Delicious dinner at Smokies BBQ! Lived up to the hype.
- Got to have a triple date with Justin & Courtney and Zach & Tosha.
- Really enjoyed Star Trek until I fell asleep. Josh was sweet enough to fill me in on the drive home.
- We had just enough gas to make it to a gas station after accidentally getting stuck on the turnpike for 16 miles.
- Nana and Papa kept Gus & Beau for us and the kids had a great time.
- Gus’ great grandma’s gave him some spending money for his birthday.
- My sister Becky brought my Beau Peep a real Bo Peep costume.
- Nana is sending us home with suitcases full of clean, good smelling laundry.