I’ve never been desperate for water or for something to drink. When I was a kid we had Dr. Pepper and Kool-Aid on tap. Now, I have a fridge full of bottled waters to keep my thirst quenched and if I were to run out I could just turn the faucet on my kitchen sink and I’d be set. Staying hydrated is pretty easy to do in America.
Psalm 42:1 As the deer pants for the water brooks, So pants my soul for You, O God.
I love the imagery that David uses in this verse. A deer is not like us. When a deer is thirsty he can’t run into Q.T. and get a soda (or pop, as everyone in Oklahoma calls it) and no one is waiting on the sidelines to give him a cup of Gator-aide, so he longs for the water brooks. He can not survive without them.
A deer makes trips to the water brooks to satisfy his natural every day thirst, to help him make it through the hot summer months, and to seek refuge. If a deer is being chased by a predator the first place he’s going to run is his drinking spot. There, he will be able to refresh himself after running for his life and throw the predator off of his scent. He pants for the water brooks, because he knows they are his life blood.
David’s soul panted for God, like a deer pants for the water brooks. He knew that he could not survive without Him.
“The enjoyment of communion with God was an urgent need of his soul; he viewed it not merely as the sweetest of all luxuries, but as an absolute necessity, like water to a stag.” (Spurgeon)
I think we all need to be reminded that our relationship with God is not just a luxury, but an absolute necessity. Dr. Pepper is luxury, water is a necessity. We can survive in the wilderness without Dr. Pepper, but we will not survive without water! Jesus is necessary for survival, without Him our spirit dry up and die.
We should wake up every morning panting for Him. We need go to Him to satisfy our spiritual thirst. We need to go to Him in order to make it through the times when the heat is on. We need to go to him for refuge. We need to seek Him like our lives depends on it, because they do.
Stay thirsty my friends… for the living water of Jesus Christ!
- I know that Jesus is an absolute necessity!
- Jesus is living water!
- Jesus satisfies my soul.
- I can run to Jesus to seek refuge.
- This Is The Air I Breath by Michael W. Smith.
- Dr. Pepper
- The easy access we have to clean water.
- Breakfast in bed with Gussy & Beau.
- Lady & The Tramp was on the Disney Channel. Perfect for Saturday morning cartoons.
- I took about 5 cat naps during the movie.
- While I was watching/napping Josh was folding laundry, making beds, emptying the dishwasher and vacuuming. He is awesome!
- I Will Wait by Mumford & Sons.
- Gus finished his “Jesus Storybook Bible.” He loved it. He told me he hugged it last night before he went to sleep.
- Gus read a princess book to Beau today. He is a great big brother.
- Josh looked very handsome for church tonight!
- Josh asked Gus if he wanted to watch a show that I had told him he couldn’t watch. Gus was very honest and even though I’m sure he wanted to watch it he told him, “mom said I can’t watch that one.”
- Beautiful, beautiful day.
- Greek yogurt + fresh berries + honey = perfect afternoon snack.
- The Sparkmans are here and made it safely!
- I’m comfortable enough with my family that I didn’t feel the need to go crazy cleaning this afternoon.
- Brooke & Olivia got to go to church with me tonight.
- Got an e-mail from a family who is going to play “Use Me” a song written by my husband while their baby is being dedicated at church this weekend. That is the perfect song for such a special day.
- Found the socks for Josh I just bought that I thought I accidentally threw away!
- One of my favorite crock pot recipes for dinner tonight.
- Clean sheets! Seriously, Josh outdid himself today.
- Olivia helped me read to the kids before bed tonight. They love having their cousins here!