Shel Silverstein was one talented dude. He was a poet, singer-songwriter, cartoonist, screenwriter, and children’s author. We own his book, “The Giving Tree” and I still remember my third grade teacher reading poems from,”Where The Sidewalk Ends” to my class. The other day someone posted one of his more well known poems, “The Voice” on Facebook and it grabbed my attention. It goes like this,
There is a voice inside of you
That whispers all day long,
“I feel that this is right for me,
I know that this is wrong.”
No teacher, preacher, parent, friend
Or wise man can decide
What’s right for you– – just listen to
The voice that speaks inside.
That’s all well and good BUT Shel forgot to mention the fact that there is more than one voice that plays in our head. I’ve narrowed it down to three.
1. Our own voice. 2. God’s voice. 3. Satan’s voice.
The voice that we’ve got to get in tune with is God’s! And sometimes it takes teachers, preachers, parents, and friends to help us figure out how to hear God’s voice, because it’s not loud and boisterous, it’s still and small.
John 10:27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.
If you consider yourself one of Jesus’ sheep you should be hearing His voice. He doesn’t say my sheep MIGHT hear my voice or my sheep COULD hear my voice or my sheep SHOULD hear my voice, He says my sheep hear my voice… that’s what we do… we hear from God. If you don’t, it’s not because He’s not speaking, it’s because you aren’t listening.
Maybe you aren’t sure how to decipher the different voices in your head. You wonder if that thought you had was just your own or if it was God speaking… or could it have been Satan? Here’s two scriptures that will help you figure that out every time.
Lying is Satan’s native tongue. I speak English, he speaks liar. So if the thoughts you are having in your head don’t line up with God’s word, then don’t entertain them. Don’t give them the time of day. If they cause fear, guilt, doubt, or anxiety you can be sure that Satan is trying to mess with you and you can shut him up by speaking the truth.
2 Thessalonians 3:16 Now may the Lord of peace Himself give you peace always in every way…
God’s speaks peace. He speaks victory. He speaks only things that line up directly with His word. He speaks truth. He wants you to get to the point where you automatically recognize his voice, like you recognize your earthly father’s voice. The more you practice hearing Him, the better you’ll get at it.
I agree with Shell, listen to the voice that speaks inside, but make sure you know that the voice you are listening to is the voice of God or you will end up one very confused person.
- His sheep hear His voice.
- God’s voice stills us.
- God’s voice leads us.
- God’s voice reassures us.
- God’s voice encourages us.
- God’s voice calms us.
- God’s voice teaches us.
- God is always talking, we just have to listen.
- We can shut up Satan when we speak truth.
- Shel Silverstein.
- Beautiful weather for flag football this afternoon.
- Gus had a great attitude the entire game.
- He gives it his all. He played and ran until he was too exhausted to play and run anymore.
- Love having Alex on his team and my friend Sayra in the bleachers with me.
- The book text Sayra sent me. Good stuff!
- Josh came to my rescue when a mom at the games started yelling at me. I learned a lot about myself today. Nobody messes with my kids, that’s for sure!
- Beau got a little farmer’s tan watching bubba play.
- Moo Yeah took forever to get us our food, but I enjoyed having extra time to hangout with my awesome little family.
- Pastor Steve Riggle shared his unbelievably amazing testimony tonight at church. Wow. God is good!
- It was so awesome to here Pastor Riggle talk about how the verses he learned as a child in Sunday School are the ones that came rising up in him when he was in his darkest hour.
- Me and my husband get to sow God’s word into kids every weekend at church.
- Psalm 23 is TRUTH! He does walk with us through the valley of the shadow of death.
- Worshiping God in His sweet presence.
- Yummy dinner waiting for us after church.
- Josh went to the store on the way home from church to pick up some milk so I could have my cereal in the morning.
- Gus gave me 15 kisses, plus one bonus kiss before bed.
- While I was sitting in church got a text from Josh letting me know that he thought I looked cute tonight.