Every night after we put the kids to bed I go downstairs and close all of the curtains and blinds that I opened earlier that morning. I don’t want everyone that drives by to be able to see what we’re up to. Not that we’re up to anything bad, but it’s just nice to have a little privacy… especially in your own home.
In Daniel chapter six, a group of Daniels greatest haters convinced the king to make a law stating if anyone prayed to any god or man other than King Darius over the next 30 days that they would be thrown into a den of lions.
Daniel 6:10 Now when Daniel knew that the writing was signed, he went into his house, and his windows being open in his chamber toward Jerusalem, he got down upon his knees three times a day and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as he had done previously
Daniel knew about the new law, yet he kept his windows open. He had to have known that this law had been created specifically for him, a deceptive plan to take him out, but he didn’t seem to care. He just went along, business as usual. He felt he had nothing to hide, so he didn’t. He didn’t close up every curtain in his home or pray somewhere where no one would be able to see him. Instead, he got down on his knees, in front of an open window, and prayed and gave thanks to God. Anyone who passed by could see him breaking the law, making himself live lion bait.
I love that Daniel lived his public life and private life the same way. What you see is what you get with him. He wasn’t acting one way at work and then going home, closing the curtains, and acting another way at home. He lived a life that honored God all of the time.
If your curtains were open all of the time would the life you present at church or on Facebook match the life you live behind closed doors?
I want to be the same person all of the time. The way I portray my life through this blog, through the pictures I post on Facebook, while I’m at church, while I’m with family, while I’m with friends… I want it to all add up. I want to be a what you see is what you get kind of a person. I want my life to honor God when the windows are open and when the windows are closed.
Luke 12:2 The time is coming when everything that is covered up will be revealed, and all that is secret will be made known to all.
What you have covered can’t stay covered, so live your life like you don’t own any curtains. Live like Daniel. Honor God all day, every day, publicly and privately. God honors those who honor Him.
- Daniel was so bold about His relationship with God. Very inspiring.
- We can’t hide anything from God. He knows us better than we know ourselves.
- When we honor God, He honors us!
- Got to sleep in this morning.
- Josh brought me breakfast in bed.
- Had some extra time to write this morning.
- Got to go to Gus’ spring show at school today.
- He goes to a Christian preschool. I know Jesus enjoyed watching those sweet little kids sing about rejoicing in the day that He made for them.
- Beau was so excited to hear bubba sing.
- He is SO awesome! I never stopped smiling watching that little guy up on the stage.
- He gave me an encore when he got home from school today.
- Beau had a great two year old check up. 27 pounds and 33 inches!
- The doctor said Beau is very advanced for her age and was shocked at how well she can talk.
- She handles shots a lot better than he big brother.
- She was just running around the office in her little panties, no shame. She’s still so pure and innocent.
- Ariel sticker and a pink sucker put a big smile on her face.
- She sang “If You’re Happy And You Know It” the whole drive home.
- Gus had a fun afternoon playing some Sonic with his dad.
- Josh’s grandma, MeeMee, turned 81 today! She’s the cutest little 81 year old around.
- MeeMee got engaged last night! Happy for her and Mr. Billy Tom!
- Josh took Beau to Lowes, Blockbuster, and Kroger and the two of them had a big time together.
- Yummy home made dinner!
- Cars Movie night!
- Our big TV upstairs.
- Josh is passionate about his work.
- God gave me the sweetest dream last night.
- The dream was a direct result of a prayer I prayed right before bed. He’s so amazing!