In 1 Samuel 7 the Philistines found out that the Israelites were gathered together at Mizpah, praying and seeking God. They figured this would be a perfect opportunity to catch them off guard, so they start heading their way, ready to attack. When the Israelites heard about the Philistines’ plan, they were afraid. They asked Samuel to call out to God for them so He could save them. Samuel called, God heard, and God acted.
1 Samuel 7:10 …the Lord spoke with a mighty voice of thunder from heaven that day, and the Philistines were thrown into such confusion that the Israelites defeated them.
It was an important victory for the Israelites. They put their trust in God and they prevailed. I love what Samuel does next, verse 12 says, Samuel then took a large stone and placed it between the towns of Mizpah and Jeshanah. He named it Ebenezer (which means “the stone of help”), for he said, “Up to this point the Lord has helped us!”
When I read that this morning I immediately thought of these lyrics from “Never Once” by Matt Redman.
Kneeling on this battle ground
Seeing just how much You’ve done
Knowing every victory
Was Your power in us
Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Yes, our hearts can say
Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
We have all been there before… kneeling on a battle ground after winning a battle we could have never have won on our own. I could have never made it through the loss of a child without Jesus. He never left me alone during that time. I never felt hopeless. I never felt like my joy would not return. He was faithful through every step of the grieving and healing process.
I now have a big Ebenezer stone of my own placed between 2012 and 2013. It reminds me that, up to this point the Lord has helped me. Every time I see that stone I will think about His past work in my life, and “His past work is a pledge of future help.” (Guzik)
When I’m kneeling on the battleground I can look back and see His faithfulness and I can look forward and see His faithfulness.
One more lyric… I think this is my favorite line from the entire Zion album by Hillsong United, it’s from the song Oceans,
“You’ve never failed, and You won’t start now.”
Up to this point the Lord has never failed me, and He won’t start now! He is faithful!
- Up to this point God has helped me!
- Never once did I ever walk alone.
- When we call God hears and God acts!
- Never Once. What an awesome song. Impossible to sing without getting overwhelmed with emotion.
- I can look back and see God’s faithfulness, I can look forward and see God’s faithfulness.
- He’s never failed and He won’t start now!
- Josh unloaded the dishwasher for me this morning.
- Josh spent a good part of his day at the mechanic getting my car fixed!
- Got all of the errands that I needed to run yesterday taken care of today.
- Beau had fun eating her animal cookies and helping me grocery shop this morning.
- Fridge and pantry are full again!
- Fish taco from Del Taco was actually really good.
- Gussy had a great, all green day at school. I love picking him up and seeing his smiling face!
- Popcorn and M&M minis after school snack.
- Made dinner tonight… real dinner. Not PB&Js or frozen pizza or fast food… real dinner!
- Fresh Basil. Does anything smell better?
- Dinner was really tasty. New recipe and everyone seemed to enjoy it!
- Had Gus laughing so hard after dinner with quotes from Wreck It Ralph.
- Kids were happy to have their Dida home tonight!
- I got to give Josh a taste of his own medicine. I got the kids all wound up before I left them in his care for the evening!
- Enjoyed my evening with the Frisco pastor’s wives.
- New Pastor’s wife – Nadege! So excited for her and Jeremy!
- Decided to put off writing my list knowing that it would keep me up late so I could watch some Duck Dynasty with Josh. It was a good decision.
- Praise report from my friend Sayra about her new little niece.
- Josh folded a bunch of laundry for me while I was gone.
- Beau says “uh-cause” instead of “because.”
- Kissing my sound asleep, sweaty little kids before bed tonight.