You don’t hear the name Barabbas used very often these days. Come to think of it, I have never met anyone with that name. Try looking it up at babynames.com and you won’t have any luck. It might have something to do with the fact that it’s a little hard to spell, but I’m sure the most common reason for its unpopularity is that the most well known Barabbas to ever exist was a notorious criminal.
Matthew 27:15-17 Now at the feast the governor was accustomed to releasing to the multitude one prisoner whom they wished. And at that time they had a notorious prisoner called Barabbas. Therefore, when they had gathered together, Pilate said to them, “Whom do you want me to release to you? Barabbas, or Jesus who is called Christ?”
The people voted to save Barabbas and to have Jesus crucified.
The name Barabbas means “son of the father” and signified that he was spoiled, ruined and that satan was his father. That day at the feast the guilty son got off the hook, and the true son, the son of God, was sent to die on a cross… the cross that was probably intended for Barabbas to hang from.
Barrabas deserved to be beaten, he deserved a crown of thorns, he deserved to have to lug a heavy tree up a hill, he deserved to have nails driven through his hands and feet, he deserved to die on that cross, but instead Jesus took His place… literally. It just doesn’t seem fair.
I don’t know the rest of Barrabas’ story. I don’t know if seeing an innocent man die on the cross that was meant for him changed his life, but I do know that it changed mine.
Before I made Jesus Lord of my life, I, like Barabbas was a daughter of the wrong father, satan. I was spoiled, and ruined, and I, was guilty. I deserved the death penalty. I deserved to be punished for my sins. I deserved to be shamed. But Jesus took my place. He gave me my freedom. He endured the cross for me. It just doesn’t seem fair. But that’s how much God loves me!
2 Corinthians 6:18 “I will be a Father to you, And you shall be My sons and daughters, Says the Lord Almighty.”
You don’t have to go through life with the wrong father, Jesus took your place so you could call His father YOUR father and so His father could call you MY son, MY daughter.
- Jesus took my place.
- Jesus is unfair.
- I am not a spoiled, ruined child of satan, I am a redeemed, loved daughter of the most high God!
- Scandal of Grace by United. “Too much to make sense of it all, I know that your love breaks my fall. The scandal of grace, you died in my place, so my soul will live”
- Actually felt rested this morning when I got up! So good to get to bed at a descent hour.
- Was trying to decide if I should take Beau to the doctor and just felt like I should… glad I did, because it turns out she has an ear infection.
- The option to pick your flavor add in at Walgreens. Beau took her grape smelling antibiotic like a champ!
- Gus to the nurse who was checking Beau’s ear and making her cry – “Get your hands off of my sister!” He’s a pretty good big brother.
- Kids did really good considering we had to wait for quite a while to see the doctor.
- Suckers and stickers!
- Good health insurance.
- Gus has never had an ear ache in his life!
- Gus had to miss the Easter story through Easter eggs at church this weekend so we made our own and did it this morning for Bible time. He loved it.
- One, Two, Three by Little Praise Party. My kids love singing Jesus is Alive!
- Finished Beau’s birthday video!
- Found the perfect ending song for the video!
- Zooey Deschanel. She has a song on both Gus and Beau’s birthday video this year.
- Found Gus a Bowser Mario Race Car while we were waiting on Beau’s prescription to be filled and he played with it all evening long and told me thank you for getting it for him a few times.
- Leftover lasagna… better the 2nd time around!
- Easter bunny cookies and milk for dessert.
- Josh got to spend his night teaching parents about training up champions!
- The non stop 10 minute explanation Gus gave me on how a Transformer is built… at least how he imagines it’s done. Very entertaining!
- Gus drew a family picture… it included Josh Hall.
- Found a great worksheet to teach Gus his number families with.
- Some much needed alone time tonight.
- The smell of Gus’ hair pomade. My hands always smell like it after bath time.
- The way Beau runs on her tip toes when she’s excited.