Last night Josh took me to go see “Oz The Great and Powerful” which by the way was much better than I thought it was going to be. Of course, since the story of Jesus is the king of all stories you can’t watch too many movies without seeing themes that have been taken from the Bible. There is a scene when the wizard tells Glinda the Good Witch that he may not be the wizard she was expecting, but he is the wizard that she needs.
That line stuck with me. I was still thinking about it this morning and felt led to read the story of Jonah.
God told Jonah to go to Nineveh and rebuke them for their sin and call them to repentance. Jonah didn’t like that idea. Historians say that Nineveh was the largest city in the world at that time and he didn’t feel like going to a strange city with people he had no relationship with and calling them out. David Guzik, one of my very favorite commentators, compares it to a Jewish man in New York during WW2 being told to go to Berlin to tell Nazi Germany to repent. Just a tad intimidating don’t you think? So Jonah flees. He sets out on a boat to Tarshish, which was about as far away from Ninevah as you could get. God caused a huge storm to blow in and Jonah knew that he was the cause of it, so he told the other men that were on their way to Tarshish to throw him overboard, and without a second thought they did.
Here’s where Jonah’s story becomes legendary.
Jonah 1:17 Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.
I think it’s safe to say that Jonah was not expecting that, but it was exactly what he needed! He needed a second chance to do what God had called him to do and this big fish was how God chose to give him that second chance. He had three days to think about what he would do when he got out that fish’s belly and during those three days he surrendered to God and God commanded the whale to spit him out onto dry land and the whale obeyed.
Sometimes things happen and it’s not what we were expecting, but it ends up begin exactly what we needed. Josh and I never expected to have to wait 5 years to have our first child, but it was exactly what we needed. We never expected to leave the church that we both grew up in, but it was exactly what we needed. We never expected our second child would be a girl, but she was exactly what we needed. We never expected to move to Texas, but it was exactly what we needed.
Maybe you never expected to lose your job, to have to wait this long to get married, or to be a single parent, but if you are following after God you have to believe that it was what you needed and that God will reveal that to you in due time.
When Jesus came to the earth He did it in a way that no one would expect. He was born in a cave, surrounded by animals, and wrapped in swaddling clothes instead of being born in a palace, surrounded by royalty, and wrapped in beautiful linens. He wasn’t the kind of king His people were expecting, but He was and is exactly the king of all kings that they needed and that we still need today.
- Jesus knows exactly what we need.
- Jesus was not the King the world was expecting, but He is the King we Need!
- Really enjoyed my Jonah study this morning.
- King Of Heaven by Hillsong United. Powerful song.
- Was SO tired when my alarm went off, but I’m SO glad I got up and spent time connecting with God.
- When I finished my quiet time everyone was still asleep so I got back in bed and slept for another 30 minutes.
- No school for Gussy today!
- Beau learned a new memory verse today. Ephesians 6:1. She memorized it so quickly!
- How Full Is Your Bucket? For Kids Gus really liked this idea and it seemed to stick with him all day.
- Stayed in our PJs all morning!
- Found lots of Easter work pages for Gus and coloring pages for Beau- kept them busy for quite a while.
- Left over Chicago’s Gourmet Pizza for lunch or as Gus calls it “Ninjago’s” pizza.
- My nephew has a FB and Twitter now. Enjoying all of his posts about God’s word.
- Decided to be adventurous and try a new park today and we loved it!
- So nice out today!
- The kids had fun playing in the sand at the volley ball courts. It was almost like being at the beach!
- Watching the kids make new friends.
- Gus was so thankful about getting to go to the park. He talked about it the whole way home.
- A parent took the time to email Josh an awesome report about how his daughter heard God this weekend in his class.
- Sold another purse on ebay and made a pretty penny!
- We are getting back 2x as much as I thought we were going to be getting back on our taxes!
- Disney On Ice is coming to Dallas! Can’t wait to take Beau in April!!
- Discounted tickets for Disney on Ice for Gateway employees. Yay!
- Yummy dinner that was easy to make.
- Gus can’t not smile when he’s playing football with Josh.
- Got paid to fold some letters and watch The Bible tonight.
- Getting in bed by 10:00 tonight!