“Great Is Thy Faithfulness” is one of my all time favorite hymns. It’s one of those songs that I can never actually sing because I get too choked up by these powerful lyrics:
Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father
There is no shadow of turning with Thee
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not
As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!
Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love
Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!
Thomas Chisholm, born in a log cabin in Kentucky in 1866, is the man who wrote those lyrics. He was saved at 27, became a pastor at 36, but had to retire after his first year in the pulpit because of health issues. He went on to become a life insurance salesman in New Jersey. He was just a regular guy with a regular job, who liked to write poems. When he was 57 he sent some of his poems to a publisher named William Runyan. Runyan fell in love with the one called “Great Is Thy Faithfulness”, he set it to music and the classic hymn was born.
I love Mr. Chisholm’s story because it’s a wonderful reminder that God loves to use regular people with regular jobs. Thomas was unable to be in full time ministry, but God still used him to do something great for His Kingdom. He used him to write a timeless song that would remind countless people who heard it and sang it that God is faithful and that his mercies are new every morning. It ministers to me every single time I hear it.
You may not have been called into full time ministry on staff at a church, but you have been called into full time ministry in your world!
1 Peter 4:10-11 (NLT) God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another. Do you have the gift of speaking? Then speak as though God himself were speaking through you. Do you have the gift of helping others? Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies. Then everything you do will bring glory to God through Jesus Christ. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.
God has given each one a gift. Use whatever gift he has given you to bring glory to Him! God isn’t looking for the smartest, the most talented, the most successful, or most famous people to use to further His Kingdom, He’s simply looking for faithful people that live their lives to bring Him glory. You may be a stay at home mom, a teacher, a realtor, a retired factory worker, or a student- it doesn’t matter what your occupation is, was, or will be, the fact is that we are all called to be ministers and to use the gifts that God has given us to do that effectively.
Take time today to think about the gifts that God has given you and weather or not you are using them to glorify Him.
- Thomas Chisholm – the life insurance salesman who used his gifts to glorify God.
- Great Is Thy Faithfulness.
- Lamentations 3:22-23 – His mercies are new every morning!
- The gift of writing God blessed me with and the idea he gave me to start this blog and exercise that gift for His glory!
- God has given each one of us gifts we can use for His glory, no matter what our occupation might be.
- Beau slept til 7 for the first time this week.
- Group hugs! Love my sweet little family.
- Had dinner made before lunch.
- My nephew ironed my shirt for church.
- Extended time of getting ready and putting my make up on this afternoon.
- Listened to a great message on worship from Pastor Preston at Gateway Scottsdale.
- Justin & Gus got to play some video games together.
- Pastor Josh Hall & Gus were wearing pretty much the same outfit at church tonight. So cute!
- God went shopping with my sister today. So glad she shared her cool story on FB.
- Loved having Justin & Courtney sitting next to me at church.
- Great Praise and worship.
- Really enjoying the Face to Face series with Pastor Robert.
- The challenge to find one person to lead to Christ this year and the great guidelines for how to do so.
- Pretty Beau in her new butterfly shirt.
- Green chile chicken casserole.
- Disney Scene It with the kiddos before bed.
- Gussy has been missing his Dida. So so glad he is taking Monday off!
- Cranium game night. We got beat, but we had fun.
- The rain, rain, rain came down, down, down. Love listening to the rain fall.
- All of the hugs I got to give Josh today. Happy he’s home!
- Longer nights start tomorrow! I’m ready for walks after dinner to start back up.
- Warm enough to wear a skirt with no tights to church!