The book of Genesis ends with the obituary of one of the greatest characters found in the entire Bible, Joseph.
Genesis 50:24-26 And Joseph said to his brethren, “I am dying; but God will surely visit you, and bring you out of this land to the land of which He swore to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob.” Then Joseph took an oath from the children of Israel, saying, “God will surely visit you, and you shall carry up my bones from here.” So Joseph died, being one hundred and ten years old; and they embalmed him, and he was put in a coffin in Egypt.
Joseph, the dreamer, had one final request as he was leaving the earth- that when the children of Israel left Egypt someday for the Promise Land that they would take his bones with them. He wanted to be buried there, the place God had set aside for His people. He died when he was 110 years old and he was placed in a coffin, but the coffin was not put under ground. Joseph’s coffin sat out for 400 years, waiting for the day the Israelites left Egypt. 400 years! Finally, the day comes and Pharaoh let’s God’s people go and Exodus 13:19 tells us that Moses took the bones of Joseph with him. Moses knew about the oath and he honored it.
It was by faith that Joseph spoke about the Exodus of the Israelites and gave them instructions about his bones. He was so confident that God would do what he had promised the fathers of our faith that he made the children of Israel give him their word that when it happened, not if it happened, but when it happened, that they would make sure he got to be apart of it.
I’m so inspired by the fact that during the 400 years when Joseph’s coffin sat out that no one gave up on God’s promise. After 100 years you would think someone would have just buried the thing, but instead before they died they told their children about it and made them promise to fulfill the oath. When the second generation was getting ready to pass away they could have kicked the coffin over out of frustration realizing that they would never see the Promise Land, but they didn’t. Instead they told the generation coming up about the oath. They still believed after 200 years that it would happen. Generation after generation they never let go of that promise. They kept the coffin out because they knew that the day would come when they would have the opportunity to take that great mans bones out of Egypt and into the land flowing with milk and honey.
Are you patiently waiting on your promise to come to pass or have you already buried it because it was taking longer than you expected it to? Have you kicked over the coffin out of frustration or are you holding fast to your word from the Lord?
Hebrews 10:23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.
- God is so faithful!
- The Children of Israel kept handing down the promise of God instead of giving up on it.
- Beau let me get in her bed and snuggle with her this morning.
- Cartoons and breakfast in my bed.
- Josh’s sweet tweet showing me he was standing in the place where we met for the very first time.
- Gus asked if we could go to one of my least favorite restaurants of all time… I said yes and he enjoyed his little lunch so thoroughly.
- My lunch was gross, but the brownie bite at the end was delicious!
- Got my oil changed. Josh was impressed!
- The Dallas Zoo!
- Good time visiting with Justin & Courtney on the drive up and the drive back.
- We finally found the parking lot!
- We picked the perfect day to go to the zoo. It felt like we had the entire place to ourselves.
- Nice weather. Not too hot, not too cold.
- The animals were all out and about and making us feel like we got our money’s worth.
- Gus & Beau got to feed the giraffes!
- Justin spotted the cutest thing I’ve ever seen at the zoo. A newborn monkey on his mom’s back. It was so tiny I would have never noticed it myself.
- Beau is just so fun! She can say anything she wants and is so expressive and knows how to have a good time.
- We got a military discount thanks to the veterans, Justin & Courtney.
- Justin got a military discount on his oil change today too!
- Fun dinner at the animal themed McDonalds by the zoo. That’s a cool one!
- Beau got a purple princess crown in her Happy Meal. Perfect prize for the princess with the purple room.
- Beau was roaring in the bathtub just like the lions that were roaring up a storm for us this afternoon.
- I finally sat down and watched full episodes of Duck Dynasty with Justin and Courtney and I gotta say I really enjoyed myself.
- Love being able to have this time to really talk with my nephew and his sweet little wife… so much so I’m losing my voice!
- Josh is home!!!!
- Catching up with my handsome, smart, funny, sweet, wonderful, etc. husband!
- My favorite warm body sleeping next to me tonight!