Confession: There is not one episode of Full House that I have not seen. I watched it on a daily basis growing up and truth be told if it was still on when I watch TV I would still watch it. This afternoon when I was cleaning up after lunch I was reminded of an episode where the kids and the adults swap roles. Stephanie and D.J. get to play parents to Danny, Joey, & Uncle Jesse. Of course the plan backfires and the girls realize that the three guys are much better suited to be the ones in charge.
Do you ever without realizing it, try to swap roles with your Father? Do you try to get ahead of the plans He has for you or try to make things happen that aren’t in line with His will? Do you take on responsibilities that you were never meant to carry? Do you try to figure things out on your own without going to Him for advice? When we do those things we take God out of the role that He is best suited for and we put our under qualified selves there instead.
I have two small children at home and our roles are very defined. I would never ask my four year old to make dinner, drive himself to school, or iron his shirt for church. I would never ask my two year old to bathe herself, balance the check book, or make the grocery list. They are not qualified to do any of those things yet. They are just kids!
I know we feel grown up and like we should be able to figure our lives out on our own, but in God’s eyes we are just kids! Without Him and His active involvement in our daily lives we’ll find ourselves in way over our heads. God didn’t design you to be in charge. If you are anything like me that’s a hard pill to swallow. I like control. I like to plan and I like it even better when the things I’ve planned go exactly how I planned them to go, so I feel like God put this scripture in the Bible just for me.
Proverbs 16:9 (NLT) We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps.
He wanted to let me know that it’s okay to make plans as long as I realize that He determines my steps. The creator of the universe does not need me to micro manage Him, but to trust Him. Aren’t you glad that He will never ask you to be God for day? He’ll never try to teach you a lesson by giving you an assignment that you were not created to carry out. Our roles with Him are very defined and if we let Him be our father and remember that we are His children we will enter into a rhythm of grace and learn to live freely and lightly.
Matthew 11:28-30 “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”
- The Lord determines my steps! Better Him than me!
- God is my father and never asks me to swap places with Him.
- Living freely and lightly.
- Rhythms of Grace by Hillsong United.
- Full House!
- When I was a kid TV was cheesy and wholesome.
- Josh made it safely to Tulsa for the Seeds Conference.
- Got all of Beau’s old nursery stuff organized and ready to sale.
- Read out loud day! We always read out loud, but we did some extra reading out loud today to celebrate.
- Made $193 on purses my sister gave me to sell. Thank you Mindy!
- Quiet little kids totally happy playing Play-Doh together.
- Beau looked so cute and grown up in her bright yellow shirt and skinny jeans.
- Watching Gus cut a rug to the “Belay” music video by The Never Land Pirate Band.
- Short line at the post office.
- No make up day.
- Found out my nephew and niece are coming to stay with me for the next 3 nights!
- I made dinner and it was awful, but I’m glad we ate tonight.
- Red light green light and Simon Says with two of the cutest kids in all of the world.
- Gus’ buddy Alex turned 5 years old today!
- David John not only one of the nicest people on the planet, but also a great producer and musician was born 40 years ago today!
- I’m not a single mom and my husband does not work nights. I miss him when he’s gone!!!
- Relaxing bath.
- Got to stream the Seeds conference and be where Josh was even though he’s 4 hours away.
- Gus memorized my cell phone number.
- Time to do some extra writing tonight.
- Got a great report from Gus’ teacher for parent teacher conferences. My favorite part- “Spiritually, Gus inspires me! He loves to pray, participates in praise and worship and is aware that Jesus loves him. He tells better bible stories than I do!” Makes me so proud.
- Got to talk to Josh for a few minutes before bed.