After about 370 days confined in an enormous floating shoe box with animals of every size and smell, Noah finally got the go ahead from God to leave the ark and set foot into the new world.
I’m sure Noah wanted to start exploring, or take a long walk and breath in the fresh air, or start working on the plans for the house he would have to build for his family, but before he did any of those things he built an altar, took of every clean animal and offered burnt offerings to the Lord.
Noah didn’t have a lot to offer. To give up one of his sheep and one of his cows was a true sacrifice for a guy who knew that these were some of the only animals of their kind left on earth. He could have waited until the animals had time to breed and build up his stock before he sacrificed one of them, but he wanted to begin his new journey by letting God know that he was putting him first, no matter how great the sacrifice.
Genesis 8:21 When the Lord smelled the pleasing odor [a scent of satisfaction to His heart], the Lord said to Himself, I will never again curse the ground because of man, for the imagination (the strong desire) of man’s heart is evil and wicked from his youth; neither will I ever again smite and destroy every living thing, as I have done.
The smell of Noah’s sacrifice pleased the Lord but in a different way than the smell of burgers on the grill please my nose. It wasn’t God’s nose that was satisfied it was his heart… his heart was satisfied with Noah’s heart, his willingness to sacrifice something that meant so much to him. Why is it that when we offer a sacrifice to God, when he give him something that’s of great worth to us or something that’s not easy to give, does it satisfy His heart?
Ephesians 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.
Jesus offered the most costly sacrifice of all, His own life, so when we offer costly sacrifices to God it’s a way of showing him that we are being transformed into the image of His son. I imagine nothing makes God happier than that!
What can you offer to God today that will send of scent of satisfaction to his heart? Maybe you really value your sleep. I know I do, but every morning I choose to sacrifice an hour of it to spend time with God and in the word. Maybe you just got a nice tax return and you were planning on using it all to take a mini vacation, but felt led to give it as an offering, that’s a costly sacrifice. Maybe you would rather spend your Sunday afternoon hanging out and watching football or nascar, but instead you stay and serve in one of the kid’s classes for second service. God loves the smell of you back there corralling kids and sharing Jesus with them. Maybe everyone in your home has a bug of some sort and you spent the night cleaning up throw up, but instead of complaining you woke up and decided God is still worthy and you send up a sacrifice of praise.
There are so many ways that we can offer sacrifices to God that please Him in the same way that Noah’s sacrifice pleased him and thankfully none of them involve killing animals. What can you give today to the one who gave it all for you? How can you be like Him?
- Jesus gave Himself for me.
- Oh to be like you! To give all I have just to know You! – Scandal of Grace, Hillsong United. Love this song. Love those lyrics.
- We can send sweet smelling sacrifices up to God just like Noah did.
- Extra time to study this morning.
- The AMAZING story of Noah and the Ark. I learned some really interesting stuff today that I have never seen before while reading it.
- Last night Gus woke us up to let us know his stomach hurt and Josh told me to stay in bed and he would take care of him.
- Josh spent all night holding a trash can next to Gus’ bed.
- Josh cleaned up messes, started laundry, and took care of my boy all while I was sleeping.
- I needed that rest. Feeling much better today!
- Gus woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed. Praise God!
- Gus sent in a video clip wishing Jake from Disney’s Jake & The Neverland Pirate a happy birthday and we saw a clip from his video on the Disney channel today!!
- We NEVER watch live TV but Beau was having a hard time waking up so I turned the TV on upstairs for her and a few minutes later there was Gussy… on TV!
- The ability to rewind live television so Gus could see himself.
- There were over 1,000 entries of kids wishing Jake a happy birthday so COOL that they picked Gus!
- Little Mermaid movie afternoon.
- “See ya later aligator” – Me “I NOT aligator, I BEAU!” – Beau
- Chicken noodle soup.
- Sierra Mist.
- Wheat Thins.
- Gus likes to watch “Gospel Bills” when he’s having a stay in bed and get better kind of a day.
- I REALLY enjoyed getting out of the house even if it was just a short trip to Kroger.
- More of Zion today in the car and cranked up. So good!
- Put a few purses on ebay that my sister gave me and they are already tearing it up! Dream purse hear I come!
- Kids in bed by 7:20! They needed it. I needed it.
- AI night with my sweet husband.
- Heard this awesome song at Kroger. Reminds me of dating Josh. Kroger has an awesome playlist.
- Jesus is healer! I’m thanking Him in advance that all of us are completely healed and ready to have a great weekend together starting tomorrow!