When I was growing up the lady next door who was completely obsessed with Elvis, living room covered in wall paper with his face on it obsessed, would always check the mail in her pajamas and a robe… long past the pajama wearing time of day. Me and my friends would have already been on a bike ride, made up a cheer routine, played hide and seek, had hotdogs for lunch, and watched a few episodes of “Salute Your Shorts” when she finally decided to get out and look to see what the mail man had brought her. I have to admit that there are days when I stay in my pajamas long past the pajama wearing time of day, but they are few and far between, most everyday I go to my closet and pick out something to wear. I think it’s safe to say most of you reading this do the same thing. I never see people leave their house with out any clothes on, thank the Lord. Everyone I know gets dressed physically every single day, they don’t have a problem with that, but I do run into a lot of people who forget to get dressed spiritually.
Isaiah 61:3 is one of my favorite verses in the entire Bible.
To console those who mourn in Zion,
To give them beauty for ashes,
The oil of joy for mourning,
The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness;
That they may be called trees of righteousness,
The planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified.”
Jesus came to the earth and gave his life for us and in the process gave us beauty for ashes, joy for mourning, and a garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness, but for some reason people would rather lay around in their ashes, mourning, and heaviness instead of receiving what Jesus has so graciously provided for them.
A garment is something you have to choose to put on. I was not born with jeans on, I have to choose to put them on every morning. Likewise, you don’t wake up everyday and automatically have the garment of praise on, you have to choose to put it on! It should be vital to you!
We all have days where we wake up on the wrong side of bed, that spirit of heaviness is really weighing us down, but we don’t have to go through the rest of our day like that. We can lift that spirit of heaviness by putting on the garment of praise.
We delivered our son still born at 6:06 a.m. and the days following I would wake up to do my quiet time around that same time of day and I could get to feeling pretty heavy, but I was determined not to stay in a dark place, I was determined to take that spirit off and replace it with a garment of praise. The time that the devil intended to get me feeling depressed was instead turned into a time of worshipping the one who was sent to heal the broken hearted. 6:00 a.m. is now one of my favorite times of day, it’s when I get dressed, it’s when I decide that no matter what the day may hold, I’m putting on my garment of praise.
Get dressed today! I promise, a garment of praise will look fantastic on you!
- God gives beauty for ashes!
- God gives the oil of joy for mourning!
- God gives the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness!
- Jesus was sent to heal the broken hearted.
- 6:00 a.m. – 7:00 a.m., what a sweet time of day!
- I had a fun childhood.
- Lilia & Crystal… my childhood best friends who lived right across the street from us.
- My niece Ryan was over this morning and helping with the kids while I was getting ready. She’s so good with them.
- My family held it’s 8th annual Monopoly Tournament today! I love having a special tradition that no one else I know has.
- Gus gave me a lecture in the car on the way over to play to remind me that even if I lost I had to have a good attitude and be nice to everyone.
- I lost! I hate losing especially when I was going for a 3-peat, but I had a fun table and was able to keep my good attitude and be nice to everyone.
- $10 consolation prize!
- Yummy frito chili pie and hot dogs for lunch.
- Got to see almost all of my siblings and almost all of my nieces and nephews!
- Laughed so hard today I had to take a knee.
- Beau took a pretty good nap even with all the noise.
- Got to celebrate my niece Afton’s birthday with her.
- Yum Yum Cake!
- My sister Mindy brought 4 bags full of purses and let all the girls pick out whichever ones we wanted!
- My nephew Tate’s awesome dance moves.
- 94.1 my old favorite radio station.
- Your Smiling Face by James Taylor. One of my favorites!!
- Bueno round two, Grammy and Grampy’s treat.
- Ran into my sweet friend J.J. tonight and give her a good hug! What a fun surprise!
- Josh! These trips to Tulsa are much more tiring without him.
- Josh finished Beau’s room and sent me a pic. Looks so cute! Can’t wait for her to see it tomorrow!
- In bed by 9:30!