A few weeks ago I got to teach the five year olds at church about when Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead. It’s a great story for Sunday School because what five year old doesn’t like wrapping his friends up in toilet paper like a mummy? I hadn’t read or told that story since delivering our son Felix stillborn in July. When I was sharing it with the kids I could totally relate to Martha and how she must have felt.
Martha was Lazarus’ sister and when he got sick she sent a message to Jesus to let him know, expecting that He would come and heal her brother who also happened to be a close friend of Jesus’. But Jesus didn’t come right away. He waited two days to head towards Bethany and when he arrived Lazarus had already been dead for four days. When Martha heard Jesus was close she went out to meet him and here is what she told Him.
John 11:21 Martha said to Jesus, “Lord, if only you had been here, my brother would not have died.
She was disappointed. Her brother was dead and she didn’t understand why. I know the feeling. When we left the hospital empty handed I was disappointed. I would never get to hold my son (at least not here on earth) and I didn’t understand why. I was expecting one thing and instead got the total opposite, much like Martha. But Martha did not let her disappointment with how things turned out stop her from trusting in Jesus. The very next words out of her mouth are so powerful.
22 But even now I know that God will give you whatever you ask.”
What an amazing lady! It takes a lot of faith to be able to say, “Yes, Jesus I’m disappointed. I wish Lazarus would not have died, BUT even now, even though I’m disappointed, I know that God will give you whatever you ask. I’m not going to stop trusting you just because things didn’t turn out how I was expecting them to.” A few verses later Jesus raised her brother from the dead.
We will all have times in our lives where we are disappointed. Not disappointed in Jesus, just disappointed that things didn’t turn out like we had hoped. In those times we have a couple of options. We can let our disappointment turn to doubt and unbelief or we can trust that Jesus is the son of God and that He is for us and able to make all things work together for our good.
Jesus wants to take the disappointments that we face and turn them into stories that bring glory to God, just like the story of Lazarus. You may be dealing with something that you never expected to have to deal with and feeling disappointed because of it, but take heart, Jesus has overcome the world and if you put your trust in Him even when you don’t know the answer to all of your “whys” He will go out of His way to turn your sad story into a happy one, because He loves you and He wants to bring glory to His father.
- You can trust God even in the midst of disappointment.
- Jesus has overcome the world!!
- He loves turn sad stories into happy ones.
- God does give Jesus whatever He asks… and whatever we ask in His name!
- God gave me the peace I needed this morning in my quiet time.
- Watching Gus & Beau play doctor together. I remember doing the very same thing with my little brother growing up.
- Valentine’s day lunch with Nana & Papa at Rudy’s.
- I am a stay at home mom so I get to go to Gus’ preschool parties! I have wanted to do that since I was in 5th grade.
- Gus is so sweet with his words and makes me feel like the most loved mom in the world.
- Nana got to come to the party at school too.
- Gus has such sweet teachers!
- Josh took the kids outside to play while I cooked dinner in peace and quiet.
- Beautiful weather today.
- I have had the best Valentine a girl could ask for for the past 13 years.
- My husband wasn’t one of the guys I saw at Kroger tonight who waited til the last minute to get their significant other something for Valentine’s day.
- Heart shaped boxes of chocolate.
- Had new clothes to wear today!
- Tasty tacos for dinner.
- Made some good guacamole with the Williams Sonoma guacamole starter I got for free!
- Nana & Papa made it home safely to Tulsa.
- SO nice having a TV watching night at home with Josh! It’s been a while!
- Disney Hedbanz game. Gus got it for Valentines day and we had a good time playing it tonight.
- Kids in bed by 7:45
- Relaxing bath.
- Heard a great message by Pastor Robert from a few years ago… can’t wait to hear the rest of the series.
- Josh’s cute haircut.
- Beau’s sleepy face.