Yesterday my husband woke up with an old 80s praise and worship song stuck in his head. A song that came out when I was only four, but somehow I remembered every word. If you grew up in church I’m sure you know it too, “Blessed Be The Name Of The Lord” by Clinton Utterbach. It’s super simple, very repetitive, and pretty catchy. Ever since my husband mentioned it I have had this line from Proverbs 18:10 stuck in my head.
The name of the Lord is a strong tower, The righteous run into it and they are saved.
The name of the Lord in the Hebrew means the reputation of the Lord, what He is known for, what He’s famous for. Whenever you hear someones name you usually associate that person with something that you know about them… that’s how reputation works. When I hear Walt Disney I think of Mickey Mouse. When I hear Barry Bonds I think of steroids. When I hear Colonel Sanders I think of fried chicken. This verse is telling us that when we hear the name of the Lord we should associate it with something… and that something is a strong tower.
In America strong towers don’t really exist… we have sky scrapers and water towers, but no strong towers. Our hiding place is behind our armed forces, not inside of a fortified tower. When Proverbs 18:10 was written strong towers were where you would be headed if you and your people were under attack. They provided a place of safety, a place of refuge.
The reputation of the Lord, what He wants to be known for, is our safe place. Gill’s Exposition says it so beautifully, The Lord is our “fortified place, or city of refuge, to flee unto on all occasions; he is the strong hold, whither prisoners of hope are directed to turn to; he is their place of defence, and the munition of rocks; a strong tower, inexpugnable; so deeply founded, no enemy can work under it; and plant a mine to blow it up; so highly built; no scaling ladders can reach it; so fortified, no cannon balls can break through it, or demolish any of its walls and bulwarks, which are his salvation; the gates of hell cannot prevail against it; it is not to be taken by storm, or by the most violent attack of the whole posse of men and devils;”
The name of Jesus is so powerful! He’s not just any strong tower, He’s the strongest tower. He’s an indestructible tower. When we are under attack we need to drop everything and run into Him, run into our strong tower. When we get there we will be able to rest knowing that nothing, no thing, not even the gates of hell can prevail against the strong tower that we have the privilege of hiding in.
The name of the Lord is a strong tower, The righteous run into it and they are saved. Not a bad line to have stuck in your head.
- “Blessed Be The Name Of The Lord” an oldie but a goodie.
- Josh shared what he had been studying in Proverbs 18:10 and I couldn’t wait to study it myself.
- The Lord is my strong tower.
- When I was telling Gus about our strong tower he asked how we get in… by the righteousness of Jesus!
- Breakfast in bed.
- Saturday morning cartoons and snuggling with sweet kids.
- Gus & Beau had so much fun going to play with their friends Zoe & Kaytlin.
- I got to catch up with my friend Anna.
- Power Nap.
- Got to hang out with Josh for a few hours in-between a busy day of church services.
- One of my favorite Aunts, Aunt Barbara, is celebrating her birthday today.
- Got to see some pictures of my sister in laws baby shower that I had to miss. I’m so glad she got to have a nice shower for baby Gabe!
- Lip gloss.
- Some intense gaming with Gus this afternoon.
- Left overs for dinner.
- Did not have to rush around like crazy to make it to church on time tonight.
- Powerful praise and worship.
- Awesome message from Pastor Stephen LeBlanc. Super excited to hear he was preaching and he did not disappoint.
- The power of the promises of God!
- My husband works very hard to provide for us.
- Beau was not seriously injured when she had a serious fall off the back of her rocking chair. So thankful for angels!
- Got to teach my little buddy how to play rock, paper, scissors.
- Life Church in Broken Arrow is celebrating their 1 year anniversary! 1,600 people saved and nearly 500 baptized in just 12 months.
- My niece and nephew and my sister and her family have such a wonderful church home at Life Church BA.
- The kids were pretty sweet when I made them share their cookies with me on the way home form church.
- Josh told me I was a doll. I love him! I’m so glad I got to spend some time with him tonight.
- In bed by 9:30!