“How are you feeling, Sarah?” asks Facebook. Hmmmm… well to steal a line from Boston, “It’s more than a feeling… More than a feeling.”
People are way to caught up with how they are feel these days. No one wants to hurt anyones feelings. Everyone feels the need to express their feelings. Feelings are overrated. We all experience them, the good the bad and the ugly, but as believers we can’t just be feelers we have to be doers.
In Ruth chapter 1 we find two women who are feeling the same thing. Ruth & Orpah married brothers and then both of the brothers died, all they had left was their widowed mother in law, Naomi. Naomi told her daughter in laws to return to their own mothers and find new husbands, but apparently these daughter in laws had grown extremely close to her over the last 10 years because they didn’t want to leave her.
Ruth 1:9-14 ….So she (Naomi) kissed them (Ruth & Orpah), and they lifted up their voices and wept. And they said to her, “Surely we will return with you to your people.” But Naomi said, “Turn back, my daughters; why will you go with me? Are there still sons in my womb, that they may be your husbands? Turn back, my daughters, go—for I am too old to have a husband. If I should say I have hope, if I should have a husband tonight and should also bear sons, would you wait for them till they were grown? Would you restrain yourselves from having husbands? No, my daughters; for it grieves me very much for your sakes that the hand of the Lord has gone out against me!” Then they lifted up their voices and wept again; and Orpah kissed her mother-in-law, but Ruth clung to her.
They were both sad, they were both weeping, they both love Naomi, but only Ruth did something about it. Ruth clung to her and promised her one of the most beautiful promises anyone has ever made to someone.
For wherever you go, I will go;
And wherever you lodge, I will lodge;
Your people shall be my people,
And your God, my God.
Where you die, I will die,
And there will I be buried.
Ruth had feelings for Naomi, she loved her very much, but it didn’t just end with how she felt, she did something about it. She never left her side and because Ruth was more than a feeler, she was a doer, she ended up being part of Jesus’ lineage.
We’ve got to be more than feelers! We can’t leave church and just feel good about the message we heard, but never do anything with it. We can’t hear someone is hurting and feel bad, but never do anything for them. We can’t just get by on feelings. Jesus felt love for us, but he wasn’t satisfied with just feeling love, He did something about it. He gave up everything to show us how He felt.
Next time Facebook asks you how are you feeling, ask yourself a more important question, what am I doing about how I am feeling… and then if you want go listen to some Boston.
- Jesus did not just feel, He did.
- Ruth challenged me to be a doer, not just a feeler.
- The promise Ruth made to Naomi. I heard someone proposed to his wife with those verses… I gotta remember to pass that idea along to Gus.
- Sleeping in.
- Josh has continued to make the bed for me every day this week. Pays to be thankful!
- Josh took the kids to school for me.
- Awesome praise and worship time while I was getting ready this morning.
- Clean hair!
- The package I got with a bunch of work stuff in it also had some new pretty eyeshadow and a new eyeshadow brush. So sweet of Trudi to send me a surprise.
- Josh and I took an afternoon nap together. Can’t remember the last time that happened.
- Gus had an all green day at school!
- Gus wanted to introduce his little sister to some of his friends today. “Meet my little sister, Beau.” She got lots of hugs and she loved every minute of it.
- Beau had to pick out one of my necklaces to wear when we went to pick up Gus and when she found the one she wanted she said, “perfect!”
- We sold Gus’ old crib rail on Ebay and got $55 for it!
- Super Mario World! Haven’t played that one in forever. Gus loved it, especially Yoshi.
- Josh got our big TV upstairs to work again. Phew.
- Fun family dinner at Taco Bueno.
- Beau found herself a pair of Cinderella slippers on sale for $3 at Kohls!
- Our sweet babysitter!
- Date night at the movies with Josh.
- The smell of the movie theater.
- The movie we went to see was not showing, so we settled for Life of Pi and it was actually way better than I thought it was going to be.
- I’ve never been stuck on a boat with a Tiger… seriously.
- Free medium drink from Cinemark for putting my phone in Cinemode.
- Sweet kids, soundly sleeping when we got home.
- Beau had a successful potty night with the sitter.
- My friend Cheri is celebrating her birthday today! I’m thankful she was born and thankful that her and her husband are apart of our lives.