The Super Bowl is coming up in a few weeks and most everyone who watches will pick a team to cheer for. I think I’m going to go for the Ravens because I kinda like Ray Lewis and I’d like to seem him win one more title before he retires. I know some football fans enjoy the game so much that they don’t have to pick a side, but for me to get into the game I’ve gotta have a team to cheer for.
In Joshua chapter 5 Joshua is nearing the city of Jericho when he looks up to see a man standing across from him with His sword drawn in his hand. Joshua’s first words to him are, “Are You for us or for our adversaries?”
He wants to know whose side this guy is on. Turns out the guy with the sword was Jesus. And this was His answer.
“No, but as Commander of the army of the Lord I have now come.”
Funny answer, right? If someone asked me are you for the Ravens or the Forty Niners and I just answered “No” they would probably ask me again to make sure I heard them right. But Jesus’ answer brought Joshua to his knees. He fell on his face and worshiped the Lord and asked that He would speak to him. Jesus proceeded to give Joshua the battle plans for taking the city of Jericho.
Why did Jesus say no? Obviously He was for the Israelites, His chosen people, so why didn’t He say that? Why didn’t He say, “I’m on your side”?
I think it’s because He wanted Joshua to know that He was doing more than just picking a team to cheer for. It’s like He was saying, I, along with the army of angels that are at my command are not just for you, we are here, and we’re going to fight with you.
I love that He was holding a sword. He wanted to let Joshua know He was like His father, a God of war. He was ready to go to battle for His people.
God isn’t just cheering you on and hoping that you win. When someone asks Him are you for Sarah or against her, He says “Neither. I’m WITH her. I’m fighting for her, the army of angels I command are fighting for her.”
God is not just a casual fan of yours that watches from His owner’s box and hopes you have a good game… He’s in it with you, fighting for you, down on the field with you, sword drawn… for you!
- The God of angel armies and His angel armies are fighting with me.
- Jesus showed up with His sword drawn!
- I am so enjoying the book of Joshua.
- The “do not disturb” feature on my phone.
- Beau let me read books to her for an hour this morning.
- Spent a good part of my sitting on the bathroom floor admiring my little girl and waiting for her to potty.
- 3 successful potty trips for Beau!
- Clean house
- Only one check mark away from being finished with my end of the year to do list for KBM.
- Beautiful day!
- Got to leave the house today… it was just to pick Gus up from school but it was nice to get some fresh air!
- When I got done asking Gus about his day he asked me about mine.
- Beau used the big girl swing in the back yard for the first time today. She loved it.
- We lost our baseball… because Gus smacked it over the fence! He was pretty proud of himself.
- The very happy construction worker who was singing at the top of his lungs and whistling while he worked on laying the brick wall across the street.
- I have a healthy little 4 year old boy that came home with a hole in the knee of his jeans and got in trouble for talking about gross stuff at lunch.
- Josh went to the grocery store for me after work.
- Potato soup for dinner that required no peeling of potatoes.
- Me & Gus got to play some Donkey Kong Country together tonight.
- We could hear Beau singing “Jesus, Name Above All Names” while she was trying to fall asleep.
- Free trial of Amazon Prime… finally get to see what all the fuss about Downton Abbey is about!
- Josh likes what I like and I like what he likes.
- God created our bodies to rest and to sleep. I’m excited about sleep tonight.
- This blog has been in 26 countries in 169 days. From America to Zambia!
- Over 13,000 views!
- Gus brought home a little paper he made at school that just said “mom” and gave it to me.
- I got the cutest picture of Beau today while she was being silly in her room. My new iPhone wallpaper is her precious little face.