When Josh and I were dating he asked my mom if he could buy me a puppy for Christmas, and she said yes! He came by my house on a very cold morning so we could go run some errands together. I got in his car and right before we were about to drive off he asked me if I could get a CD out of his trunk. I went to the back of the car, he popped the trunk and there sat the cutest puppy I’ve ever seen. Norah. The runt of a litter of Boston Terriers. It was love at first sight.
Norah is still alive and well and has lived with my parents for the last 2 years. I like a lot of things about that little dog, but one of my favorites is that she never grows too familiar with me… or anyone else. She is excited every time someone comes through the door. Her whole rear shakes, her stubby tail wags, and she let’s you know she is really pumped about seeing you, even if you just saw her 15 minutes ago. “Oh, it’s just you.” is not a part of her vocabulary.
We all have relationships in our lives that are at risk of becoming too familiar to us- relationships we take for granted or don’t put forth the effort to keep the spark alive in. After a few years of being married, or even after a few months the new wears off, the old sets in, and you don’t look at your spouse like you did when you were dating. When they walk through the door your tail no longer wags uncontrollably. The flame is gone. Of course, if you work at it, you can keep your marriage exciting and fulfilling, but only if you work at it.
The same is true in our relationship with God. I think many of us struggle with keeping the spark alive in our walk with Him. We spend time in the word, pray, go to church, but we’re hot and cold about it. One week on fire, the next week not so much. We grow familiar with the greatness of our God.
What do we have to do avoid that familiar feeling?
Revelation 2:4-5 (NIV) Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken the love you had at first. Consider how far you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first.
You do the things you did at first- the things you did when you first got saved, first got healed, or first got delivered. The things you did when it felt like the flame inside of your heart could not be tamed. Remind yourself of how you felt when your heart first laid eyes on your savior!
Get in the word even when you don’t feel like it. Get out of bed and pray even when you would rather sleep for 30 more minutes. Keep the lines of communication open between you and God by making time to talk and time to listen. Remind yourself of all of the many good things He was filled your life with. Be a worshipper every day of your life. If you work at your relationship with God you can be like Norah… I want to be like Norah. I want to wake up in the morning, whole rear shaking, tail wagging uncontrollably, SO excited that I get to spend time with the God who saved my soul!
- We can keep the spark alive in our relationship with God.
- God’s fire for us never burns out.
- I never get old to Norah.
- My mom said yes!
- Josh picked out the perfect puppy for me.
- My mom said yes again when we needed to find a new home for Norah.
- Sabbath Friday!!
- Papa took Gus out for cocoa and coffee this morning and brought back hotcakes for breakfast.
- Cuddling up with my sleepy girl this morning.
- I got to sleep in!
- Beau got her little hair trimmed up.
- Beau’s neck! The back of her little neck is so cute.
- Josh got his hair cut today too… by Papa… for free!
- Oliver & Company movie afternoon.
- Beau took an extra long nap.
- Josh & I got to take nice long naps.
- Fun afternoon shopping at Ikea with the whole family.
- Nana got Gus a stuffed puppy and Beau a stuffed owl.
- I found some more cute decorations for Beau’s party!
- Uncle Julios!
- Watching Gus watch tortillas being made.
- Chips & salsa.
- Laughing with Nana & Papa at dinner.
- Traffic on the way back from dinner was not bad at all!
- Date night at the movies with Josh.
- Got the kids all tucked in so the grandparents could just chill out and watch a movie at our house while we were on our date.
- Baby Vicks Vapor Rub for baby Beau.