One of my favorite sounds of all time is a beating heart of a bitty baby. I still remember the first time I heard Gus’ heart. I went in for my 6 week check up, the nurse squirted some warm gel on my stomach, and moved the heart beat finder thing all around listening for some sign of life. She couldn’t find it. I was a little annoyed because I didn’t want to have to wait another 4 weeks to hear it. Thankfully, my doctor came in and he found it right away. Everyone got quiet and we just listened.
To hear someones heart you have to get quiet, because a heart beat is not very loud. Especially, if you don’t have a stethoscope or something like that to magnify the sound. If I want to hear Gus’ heart now I have to get close to him. I have to put my ear right up to his chest. I have to get quiet and have him get quiet, and then there it is. Beat, beat, beat, beat, beating away.
Anytime you want to hear something that’s quiet, like a watch ticking, a baby breathing, or a whispering voice, you have to get close to it.
1 Kings 19:11-12 …And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire,but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice.
A still small voice can literally be translated a sound of soft stillness or the tone of gentle blowing. That’s quiet! God spoke to Elijah in a voice that was as quiet as the tone of gentle blowing, as quiet as a baby breathing, as quiet a heart beating, as quiet as a whisper. God still speaks in many different ways today, dreams, visions, prophesy, but in my life I’ve found that He uses this still small voice technique the most.
Why does He like to get quiet, to make his voice like a whisper… a really, really quiet whisper? It’s because He wants us close to Him. He desires for us to be so near to Him that we can hear Him even when He speaks in a still small voice. He wants me to be as close to him as I have to get to Gus to hear his heart beating. You don’t just whisper into anyones ear, because there’s something intimate about being that close to someones face. I’ll whisper into Josh’s ears or my kids ears, but you won’t see me whispering into the ear of the check out lady at Target. We aren’t that close. But Jesus wants to be that close with you, that intimate with you. He wants to share His heart with you, you’ll just need to get quiet and close enough to Him that you can hear it.
- God wants us close to Him.
- If we get close enough we can hear His still small voice.
- Josh shared the thought that sparked the idea for this blog.
- The technology we have that enables us to hear the tiniest heart beating away inside of the womb.
- I got to catch up with my friend Sayra today.
- Gus got to play with his buddy Alex.
- Subway for lunch.
- My reassuring, faith building husband.
- Looking through my notebook from July-September of last year. So awesome to see all of the different things God was putting on my heart and the things He was revealing to me.
- Turkey burgers for dinner that actually tasted good!
- Roasted red peppers.
- Gus tattle tailing on his little sister. Those 2 are funny.
- Beau keeps me on my toes!
- Josh decided to let the kids watch and extra TV show tonight so we could talk in peace!
- Josh fixed our mailbox! No more soggy mail after it rains.
- I can talk to my niece in law Courtney about what’s going on in my world.
- My friend Kathleen was born 30 years ago today! So fun to be around and a huge blessing to the kids ministry at all of the Gateway campuses.
- Mr Matthew, a great teacher at Gateway Frisco is celebrating his birthday today too!
- Relaxing bath.
- God spoke to me tonight in His very sweet, still small voice.
- Feels so good to have clean hair.
- My favorite show started tonight!
- Veggin out on the couch with my sweet husband.
- The encouraging email I received from a 10kreasons follower I’ve never met before.
- This bad lip reading video my dad shared. SO funny!! I needed a good laugh this afternoon.
- Overheard Josh telling Gus he was God’s masterpiece. Such a good Dida.