One of the best stories in the Bible is found in Daniel chapter three. King Nebuchadnezzar has an enormous gold statue of himself built and demands that everyone bow down and worship it. Everyone does… except Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. These three men refuse, knowing full well that a blazing furnace was being preheated for anyone who would not worship the idol.
The narsisistic King gives them another chance to bow down, but again they refuse. Nebuchadnezzar demands his men to heat the furnace seven times hotter than it was usually heated and in go Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. In the very next verse the King is rubbing his eyes, making sure he’s seeing things right. Now there are four men in the fire. The three guys he just threw in AND someone else that looked like the son of God. He looked like the son of God because He was the son of God. Jesus was in the furnace with Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. God delivered them, completely delivered them!
Verse 27 says, And the satraps, administrators, governors, and the king’s counselors gathered together, and they saw these men on whose bodies the fire had no power; the hair of their head was not singed nor were their garments affected, and the smell of fire was not on them.
I love that they didn’t even smell of fire! We went through a fiery furnace of our own last year. Our hearts were broken when we found out the baby we were expecting in November would have to be delivered still born in July. I felt the fire get hotter when the doctor told me the baby was a boy. The brother my 4 year old son had been praying for. And even hotter when I saw his precious, tiny footprints. The heat was on, but Jesus was there in the midst of it with us and He delivered us out of that fiery furnace, completely delivered us. We are not victims, but victors because of Jesus. If you were to come to our house you would not smell the smell of fire on us or see singed hairs on our heads. The fire had no power over us.
People go through fiery trials of their own, and they survive but they aren’t fully delivered. When they talk about past hurts you can still smell fire and smoke. They have deep wounds that are still open and their hearts are still in pieces. Jesus came to heal the broken hearted and to set the captives free. He came to lift us out of the pit and give us a NEW song. You may have been the victim of something awful, but you don’t have to stay a victim. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were victims, but Jesus delivered them and made them victorious. That same type of deliverance is available for you today.
- My deliverer is the Lord.
- The newsletter from Gus’ preschool where I got the idea for this blog. Good word from Mrs Kim!
- My Deliverer by Chris Tomlin. Sang this so much the first few weeks after we lost Felix.
- God delivered the men from the furnace and they didn’t smell like fire! Amazing story!
- Go wants us to be victorious, not victims.
- I can tell our story from a place of victory… helping others, not suffocating them with the smell of fire and smoke.
- I have never been ordered to bow down and worship an idol.
- On the way to church this morning Gus was looking out his window and he said “Isn’t God good?” Yes! He is good! So good!
- Got to teach lots of sweet little 5 year olds that God’s word is like medicine and that Jesus is our healer.
- Had time to write my blog before church.
- Beau was so proud of herself for putting lipgloss all over her chubby little cheek.
- Gus’ sweet face in his furry jacket hood.
- Running up to church holding Beau and Gus’ hand, freezing, wind blowing my hair everywhere and hearing them laughing all the way.
- People were sitting in the lobby at church today because there weren’t enough seats in the sanctuary.
- A lady at church told me she knew I was going to have another baby someday soon.
- The mom who went out of her way to tell all of the volunteers that her kids are learning so much and how much she loves hearing them sing songs and talk about what they learn at church.
- The vision God gave one of the youth at our church during prayer on Wednesday morning about Josh. This fasting and praying thing is pretty awesome.
- Looking through some photo albums from last year with Beau. She loved seeing baby Beau.
- Nap with Gussy.
- Palios for dinner!
- Nice fire burning all afternoon and evening.
- Beau narrating Donkey Kong Country for everyone.
- Nice hot shower with some good Praise and Worship!
- Big bath towels!
- Haven’t had one canker sore since I started using my all natural Jason toothpaste.
- The boys in my house always remember to put the seat down.
- In bed before 10!