The ability to capture a moment through photography is one of the most fascinating things in the world. What an amazing discovery. Without it, I would have no idea what my parents looked like when they got married, what I looked like when I was born, or how handsome my grandpa looked as a solider in World War 2.
Back in the day people had to use film to capture images with their cameras. My mom and dad have boxes full of envelopes with pictures and their negatives, the film strips that the pictures were developed from. Remember those things? You could look at them and see the image that was captured, but the colors were off. It was light where it’s supposed to be dark and dark where it was supposed to be light. They were pretty messed up looking, yet somehow Walgreens could turn them into awesome frame worthy pictures. How did they do that? They had the chemicals needed to treat the film, and then they were able to expose it to light. Without the light the negative would never turn into a picture.
When we are born we are like a negative. God has taken a picture of us and the amazing plans that he has for our lives, but without light we will stay a negative. We have to let light in.
John 8:12 Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.”
Is there an area of your life that feels like a negative? A part of you that feels undeveloped? A part of you that feels distorted? It’s time to stop hiding those things in the dark, hoping that they will disappear. It’s time to expose them to light… it’s time to expose them to Jesus. He’s an expert at photo processing.
He is the light that we need every area of our lives exposed to. When we let Jesus in, the negatives in our life turn into frame worthy pictures. Put Him in the center of your life and let him radiate and light up everything about you like the sun lights up the sky!
- Jesus is the light!
- My negatives don’t have to stay negatives. Jesus can turn them into pictures He can proudly display.
- We don’t have to walk in darkness.
- The discovery of photography.
- We don’t have to mess with film anymore.
- The boxes of pictures at my parents house.
- Worshipping with my kids this morning.
- The fun lesson on faith vs fear I got to teach Gus. He was really enjoying punching a water bottle with a sock that said fear on it. Object lessons rule.
- Homegrown. The Family Bible Study curriculum I helped write I now use to teach my kids with.
- By noon I had already made breakfast, lunch and dinner for the day.
- God gave me the word I was looking for this morning.
- The house smelled wonderful all day with a new stew recipe brewing.
- Gus left me, Josh and Beau all very sweet notes on my iPhone with Siri’s help.
- Tangled was on TV today and I got to record it for Beau. She loved “Punzel.”
- My nephew Justin married my favorite niece in law Courtney 3 years ago today!
- Was at church early enough to catch up with a few friends before it started.
- Got to experience the kind of praise and worship that you don’t want to end at church.
- Good and challenging message by Pastor Jack Hayford.
- Gus was so excited to tell me about the man who was lowered through the roof to get healed by Jesus.
- Me and Gus got to watch some playoff football together while we were eating dinner.
- The yellow first down line… makes explaining football to a four year old so much easier.
- Popeye’s biscuits.
- Our stew was good!
- Beau told the drive through attendant at Popeyes, “Bye, sleep good!” as we were driving away.
- Josh had a great service with the 5th & 6th graders.
- My mom can sew.
- The little bags of cookies the kids get to snack on on the way home from church.