A few weeks ago I wrote about the commandment to observe the sabbath, to set aside one full day every week where you are scheduled to do nothing related to your job. I have been enjoying my “Sabbath Fridays” complete with no cooking, no cleaning, no writing, and no email checking. Rest is a good thing, but it’s impossible to rest physically if you aren’t at rest spiritually.
My father in law just showed me this and I thought it was so good.
Hebrews 4 is a chapter all about rest, the promised rest for God’s people. The rest was first promised to the children of Israel, but because of their unbelief and disobedience they failed to enter it. That same rest is available for us but we have to be diligent if we want this gift of rest. Diligent in what?
After 11 verses on rest comes this very popular verse with the answer… God’s word.
Hebrews 4:12 (AMP) For the Word that God speaks is alive and full of power [making it active, operative, energizing, and effective]; it is sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating to the dividing line of the breath of life (soul) and [the immortal] spirit, and of joints and marrow [of the deepest parts of our nature], exposing and sifting and analyzing and judging the very thoughts and purposes of the heart.
To be able to rest spiritually we have to be consumed by the word of God from the inside out. His word is alive and full of power. His word has the type of precision needed to cut right through the thoughts and fears that try to keep you from entering into that sweet place of rest. But it’s not enough just to hear God’s Word, you have to believe it and that takes diligence.
Faith is not a passive thing. Hebrews 4:11 says we must be zealous, exert ourselves, and strive diligently to enter God’s rest.
To rest physically you take your mind off of your work. To rest spiritually you set your mind on the works of Jesus.
I can take a sabbath every week and not lift a finger, but it won’t do me any good if my spirit is not resting in the promises of God’s active, operative, energizing, and effective word!
- God’s word is Active!
- God’s word is Operative!
- God’s word is Energizing!
- God’s word is Effective!
- God’s word is sharp and precise!
- Jesus promised us rest.
- My father in law’s insight into the value of spiritual rest.
- God showed me some cool things this morning in prayer.
- Kids got up early but I got to go back to sleep while they watched cartoons cuddled up next to me.
- After Christmas shopping with my fun little family.
- Got all of my wrapping paper, ribbon, and tags for next year.
- Gus found a few things to decorate his room with for next year.
- Josh got some supplies for hanging lights outside next year!
- Christmas dinner leftovers for lunch.
- Some quiet down time to myself this afternoon.
- Symphony in B. One of Gus’ new toys. It’s so neat and Gus is a very talented composer.
- The interest in music that Josh and Gus share.
- Date night!
- Josh’s parents watched the kids for us.
- Bacon Turkey Bravo.
- Future planning with my husband.
- Got to double date with the Halls.
- Enjoyed my Sour Patch Kids and popcorn at The Hobbit.
- We purchased Beau’s big girl room furniture today and saved over $500.
- Nana had $35 worth of coupons to Pottery Barn Kids that she let us use.
- Came home to sweet sleeping kiddos.
- Beau asked to watch “Super Friends” all day today. She’s so girly, yet she’s into Batman and Superman too.