I read this verse today and it reminded me of all of the Christ-less Christmas celebrations that take place all over our country each year.
Isaiah 1:13 (NIV) Stop bringing meaningless offerings! Your incense is detestable to me. New Moons, Sabbaths and convocations- I cannot bear your worthless assemblies.
Christmas celebrations that don’t mention Jesus are worthless assemblies that I think God despises and detests. Christmas has become so commercial that unsaved people everywhere celebrate it and don’t feel an ounce of guilt. They exchange gifts, decorate a tree, and eat a ham all in honor of “Christmas” without ever honoring Christ.
I think this portion of a poem called “Happy Birthday Jesus” by Donald Arey, Sr. issues a great challenge to all of us who do celebrate Jesus at Christmas.
I had a birthday party, most everybody came. They danced and ate and had a ball, But no one spoke My name. They gave each other presents, as nice as they could be. People came from far and near, But no one mentioned Me. The stores were filled with shoppers, The restaurants crowded out, But no one seemed to really know what the party was about.
No one seems to know what the party is all about these days, but we can do something about that.
1 Peter 3:15 (AMP) But in your hearts set Christ apart as holy [and acknowledge Him] as Lord. Always be ready to give a logical defense to anyone who asks you to account for the hope that is in you, but do it courteously and respectfully.
It’s more than saying “Merry Christmas” or putting a “Jesus is the reason for the season” sign up in your lawn or on your Facebook wall. People should be able to tell that you acknowledge Jesus on Christmas and the rest of the 364 days each year by the way you live your life. It should be super obvious that He is your hope and if they want to know why, you should be able to verbalize it in a kind and courteous way.
My new year resolution is to save a few people from ever having worthless Christmas assemblies again by being ready to give anyone who asks about the hope I have an answer that changes their life.
- Officially done wrapping presents.
- Josh helped me size, print, and frame a bunch of pictures.
- Gus got out of school early today, so I got to take the morning off, no lunch packing.
- Josh got to take Gus out for a guys lunch at Whataburger.
- The cold wintery weather day.
- Josh and I got to have a date night with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra.
- Getting dressed up to go out!
- When I came out of my room after getting dressed Beau said “Pretty dress! Spin!” She had to come see my skirt and touch it and wanted me to spin for her. What a fun little girl she is!
- Talking uninterrupted with my husband on the way into Dallas.
- We had the perfect amount of time to travel to Dallas, eat dinner, and figure out where we were sitting before the performance started.
- Found a really neat Japanese restaurant for dinner.
- We felt like we were out of town, seeing new things we’d never seen before.
- Beautiful Christmas lights and trees lining the streets downtown.
- Nana & Papa were here to watch the kids for us.
- My ears can hear!
- Music and the way it all went together so beautifully tonight.
- Being able to enjoy the gifts and talents God blessed all of the singers and musicians with that preformed tonight.
- The Christmas story was read from the Bible during the show and there was such an emphasis on the birth of Jesus throughout. It was so moving to hear such beautiful music about my Lord and savior.
- The Christmas children’s choir. Their voices were beautiful and so sweet and pure.
- Making memories with my husband.
- Gus and Beau had a fun Christmas movie night with Nana and Papa.
- Josh and Anna brought us homemade cinnamon rolls. I can’t wait til breakfast!
- I found some Star Wars cupcake holders for Gus and Snow White for Beau. Perfect stocking stuffers.
- Gus got to wear his Santa slippers to school today for Christmas head to toe.
- Gus’ school has really majored of Jesus this Christmas and minored on Santa.
- His teachers gave him the cutest Mary, Joseph, and baby Jesus block set.
- 31 years ago today my sister in law Mandy was born!
- How good it feels to take off tights after wearing them for 6 hours.