We have not allowed one second of T.V.news coverage on the heart breaking school shootings into our home this week. After finding out about the tragedy on Facebook I read an article about what happened and that was the end of it. I got what I needed to know. Innocent lives were lost and their families need my prayers. I don’t know the shooters name, what he looked like, or any other gory details. I don’t want to spend my time pondering Satan’s attack on those babies.
Philippians 4:8 (MSG) I’d say you’ll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse.
I agree whole heartedly with that! If we sit in front of the T.V. and let the news media fill our minds with bad reports what good is that doing us? Why would we ever want to waste a second of our lives mediating on evil? I think satan is loving all of the attention he is getting this Christmas season. I think he’s enjoying watching spirits of fear, depression, hopelessness, and anger enter into the homes of Americans through the glowing box that sits in their living rooms.
“If it bleeds it leads” is the mantra of all news stations, but it’s not the mantra I want for my family. I want my family to fill their minds with things that are true, noble, just, pure, lovely, of good report, and things that are virtuous and praise worthy. What are you meditating on today? God’s light or Satan’s darkness?
Remember, what the angel told the shepherds on the night that Jesus was born. Fear not, I bring you GOOD NEWS of great joy, which shall be to all people.
Turn off the T.V., put down the newspaper, pick up your Bible and start mediating on good news.
- We can control what we meditate on.
- We have control over what spirits are allowed into our home.
- God’s word is full of good news.
- Got to sleep in.
- Christmas cartoons and cuddling with Gus & Beau in bed.
- Took Gus toys for tots shopping at Kroger. He was so excited to give!
- Salted watermelon… good snack to sooth my throat!
- My friend Kristen texted to let me know she was praying for me.
- Streamed the whole Gateway service this morning.
- Oh Come All Ye Faithful was so good during worship it moved me to tears while I was folding laundry in my living room.
- My Felix was part of the heavenly choir this morning, singing with me.
- Rebecca Pfortmiller. That lady can sing… and so effortlessly! Me and Beau loved hearing her sing Joy to The World.
- Del Taco family pack. That’s a lota food for $9!
- The cashier at Kroger told me I was pretty… I worked extra hard on my makeup and thought it was so sweet someone noticed!
- Was reminded what a difference kind words can make to someones day.
- Fun night out at our staff Christmas party.
- Josh gets to work with some pretty awesome people.
- Their spouses are pretty awesome too!
- Kids did great for their baby sitter. They were sound asleep when we got home!
- My sister Mindy sent me the best text ever.
- Josh is so good at telling me he is proud of me.
- Dale recommended apple cider vinegar to help with my sore throat. I think it’s working!
- Josh got a Cowboys win!
- Got some extra Christmas break writing done this afternoon.
- Kids ate their dinner in total silence. They must have really enjoyed it because that never, ever happens.
- 6 more sleeps til our Christmas morning!
- The way my new fridge lights up when you open the doors… it feels so fancy.
- Cuddling with my favorite person in the world while watching some Food Network.