Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
That has got to be one of my favorite verses in the entire Bible. When my son was just two years old he could recite the whole thing by memory, now every time I read it I can hear his unbelievably sweet voice saying each word. Today I found myself thinking about the word “wonderful.”
The word “wonderful” is totally overused. For instance, the body shop calls and says that they are all done with your oil change and your car is ready to pick up. You say, “Wonderful!” I use it like that all of the time. But that’s not the way the word was meant to be used.
Unto us a child is born, a son is given and His name shall be called wonderful. Wonderful in the original Hebrew means extraordinary, a hard to understand thing, admirable, a miracle of God.
My car being ready to pick up is not wonderful. It’s not a miracle, it’s not extraordinary, it’s not a hard to understand thing, it’s not admirable. It’s just O.K.
Have you stopped to think about how wonderful Jesus is lately? I mean how really, really wonderful He is.
Isaac Watts had to have been thinking about how wonderful Jesus is when he wrote “Joy To The World.” The famous carol ends with, The wonders of His love, the wonders of His love, and wonders, wonders, of His love!
Jesus is FULL of wonders and “The glory of who He is and what He has done for us should fill us with wonder. You can never really look at Jesus, really know Him, and be bored. He is Wonderful, and will fill your heart and mind with amazement!” – Guzik
Jesus is not just O.K., He truly is wonderful, so let the wonder of our Savior fill your heart today.
- Unto us a child was born. Unto us a son was given.
- Jesus is wonderful!
- My favorite version of “Joy To The World.”
- Gus’ little 2 year old voice saying “wonderful.”
- Gus has always been so hungry for God’s word.
- Beau and Josh got to sleep in.
- Me and Gus snuggled on the couch and watched cartoons.
- Josh watched the kids this morning so I could get clean.
- Me and Gus made our own nativity scene. Cutest little craft from Hobby Lobby.
- Gus spotted to two seat grocery cart when we got to Target!
- Free cookies.
- Pantry full. Fridge full.
- Next Saturday I should be filling my new fridge!
- Gus helped me carry in the groceries.
- Beautiful weather. I can’t believe how few times I’ve had to wear my coat since Halloween.
- Bought four gift cards to four different places all at Kroger.
- House smelled so good all day with italian beef cooking in the slow cooker.
- Italian beef sandwiches were delicious!
- Gus & Beau were fighting over the baby Jesus that goes to their nativity scene. Pretty funny hearing Beau scream “No! My Baby Jesus!!”
- Beau learned how to make her bath toys blow bubbles on her tummy. She thought it was funny, Gus thought it was hilarious.
- Rare Saturday evening at home.
- 2 weeks until Christmas morning at our house!
- Beau’s little face peeping down at me through the banister. She napped for 2 hours and then escaped from her crib again!
- The movie theater donated huge bags of popcorn for the kids to eat at church this weekend while watching the Christmas performance.
- Getting Christmas cards in the mail.
- Gus’ friend Alex asked Jesus into his heart today!
- Got to watch a good 30 for 30 on Bo Jackson tonight with Josh. What a story.
- My sweet neighbor saw on FB about Beau escaping from her crib and offered us a day bed. We already have a bed picked out for her, but still so nice of her to think of us.