The other day a friend of mine was sharing some things from a prophecy she received several years ago and she mentioned something that has been on my heart ever since.
The pastor prophesying over her said he could see her out in a field picking flowers to bring to Jesus, and then there was Jesus who was wanting her to come in from the field and just spend time swinging with Him.
I thought that was such a sweet image of Jesus’ desire to be close to us. Too often we look at our relationship with God as a big “to do list.”
Went to church this weekend, check! Had quiet time this morning, check! Prayed for dinner, check! Listened to praise and worship music in the car, check! Volunteered at church, check!
All of those things are very important, but really there’s just one thing that does it for Jesus.
Luke 10:38-42 As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught. But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.” But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.”
I can really relate to Martha. I’m an achiever and I’m guessing she had that as one her top five strengths as well. An achiever has a constant need for… you guessed it, achievement! Martha had been preparing for Jesus to come to dinner all day. She wanted dinner to be delicious and the house to look perfect. She wanted to achieve at being a wonderful host to the son of God. Her sister Mary wasn’t concerned about that. I’m sure Mary helped Martha chop onions and set the table earlier that day, but now that Jesus was here she was only interested in Him. Martha got frustrated with her sister. As an achiever it can be hard not to get put out with people who don’t want to help you achieve what you want achieved! So Martha went to tattle on Mary and Jesus gave her the best advice an achiever could ever get.
“My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about…”
In other words, “Martha I don’t care if the rolls are burned a little on the bottom. I don’t care if there are dirty dishes piled up in the sink. You shouldn’t care either. I’m here right now. Come spend time with me and get to all of that stuff after I leave. There is only one thing worth being concerned about, and it’s time spent with me.”
Good stuff, Jesus! We all have things that we want to achieve every day and a lot of us have things we want to achieve for the Kingdom of God and that’s awesome, but the most important thing to us should always be our relationship with Him.
Don’t be like a little toddler who can only sit in the lap of his mom or dad for a few seconds before squirming around until he is off to explore the world. Sit still. I know there’s a lot to achieve today, but before you go into busy body mode do the only thing that really matters today, swing with Jesus.
- Something someone prophesied to a friend 16 years ago, ministered to me this week!
- Martha reminded this achiever that there’s just one thing that is worth being concerned about.
- Slept great last night.
- Clean hair!!
- The weather channel was predicting thunder storms tomorrow right when our flight was supposed to leave, but we prayed and decided to not be moved by what we saw and now the thunderstorms are supposed to come early and be gone before it’s time for us to take off.
- I was starting to stress out about the weather situation tomorrow and after I prayed, gave it to God, and turned on some praise and worship I felt so much better.
- I love that God cares about what we care about.
- God makes all things work together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose!
- Loaded the kids up with lots of vitamin c, elderberry, and yummy fruit salads for breakfast.
- Showed Gus a clip from Karate Kid and he spent the next hour practicing Karate moves on Beau’s stuffed Pooh Bear.
- I got Beau to drink Almond milk. I tasted it and didn’t think she would try any of it, but she did and she didn’t even seem to notice it wasn’t regular milk.
- Beau took a great nap this afternoon.
- Gus’ Imaginext toys. He has gotten so much use out of all of them.
- My Chick Fil A has two drive thru lanes now!
- Got the kids chicken noodle soup for dinner and they loved it.
- I got to teach the 5 year old at church about thankfulness!
- Got to hear an awesome testimony.
- My favorite 4 year old got to be in my class… Gus!
- I could tell Gus was proud that his mom was the teacher. He signed “I love you” to me a few times while I was teaching… heart melted.
- I loved getting to see him in class singing, participating and playing with his little friends.
- We got to see fireworks on the way home.
- Beau said “Mickey” for the first time tonight… it’s like she knows.
- Clues placed all over the house for the scavenger hunt to reveal the big news to the kids tomorrow morning!
- No one spilled the beans to the kids… we kept it a secret for four months!
- My sister Mindy sent me an awesome Dooney & Bourke Disney themed purse to use for the trip. I love it! It’s all loaded with hand sanitizer, diapers, lollipops, etc!
- Josh helped me finish packing and straighten the house up.
- ONE MORE SLEEP!