I still remember the day my daughter Beau said her very first real word. She was sitting in her high chair one morning about to eat breakfast when her big brother Gus came in to say hi. She looked at him with her big blue eyes and said “bubba!”
Every baby book comes with a place for mom to list some of baby’s first words. It’s kind of an amazing thing when a baby starts to talk. The gift of speech that God gave only to humans, begins with just one simple word like “bubba”, “car”, or in my nephew’s case “coca-cola” and before long they can say whatever they want.
Did you know that when you become born again God has a place in your spiritual baby book for all of the words that you speak.
Matthew 12:36 But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment.
God keeps track of our words. Every single word that comes out of our mouths He hears. And he doesn’t get busy like a new mom and forget to record it. He remembers them all and for every idle word we speak we will have to give an account of it on the day of judgement.
An idle word literally means a vain, thoughtless, useless word; a word that accomplishes no good. (Barnes) Idle words are words that are spoken but help no one. Most people realize that they will have to give an account for the hurtful words they speak, but not a lot of people realize (including me, until this morning) that the pointless, careless words that make up “light conversation” or “vain discourse” we will also have to give an account for. Wow, that gives a whole new meaning to the saying, “choose your words wisely.”
What did you talk about today? What words were recorded in your baby book? Did you bash our President? Did it accomplish anything good? Did you complain about your commute to work? Did it minister to anyone? Were you too sarcastic with your words today? Were those words necessary?
Everyday you open your mouth and words come out. God hears everyone of them. There’s no way any one of us can go through the rest of our lives without speaking an idle word, but there is good news. God carries an eraser around with Him. When you catch yourself saying something idle, ask God to forgive you and those idle words are erased out of your baby book forever. You will no longer have to give an account for them on judgement day. That doesn’t mean you can now say whatever careless, thoughtless words you want and then ask God to erase them. God sees our hearts, he knows when we are truly repentant.
I probably had a pretty good list of idle words going since I got born again, but this morning I asked God to forgive me so now my list is empty. Don’t you love fresh starts?
Words are a big deal! Make sure the words you say have a purpose.
- The friendly reminder from God to watch my words!
- God carries around an eraser that we can activate when we ask for forgiveness.
- Fresh starts!
- I have Beau’s first words on video.
- I can still hear Gus saying his first word “car” over and over again while he was carrying around his police car rattle.
- God gave us the ability to speak.
- Had my first grapefruit of the season, it was so so so good!
- The fresh smell of grapefruit.
- Had time to get myself a pineapple tea on the way to my small group this morning.
- Sweet time of prayer and fellowship with my sweet friends.
- Kids were happy and fed when I picked them up from child care.
- I could hear Gus playing Batman vs Bane while I was working this afternoon. The joys of working from home.
- Gus helped me write an “E” on all of the things I entered on QuickBooks this afternoon.
- Scholastic book flyers. I loved them when I was in school and I love getting them from Gus’ school. Ordered some new Christmas books.
- Powerful power nap.
- Awesome weather.
- The kids loved running around, riding bikes, and taking rides in Gus’ power wheel on this beautiful afternoon.
- Taco night!
- Josh surprised the kids with new toys when he got home from work.
- Very thoughtful text from my friend Jessica. So nice to know when someone is thinking of you.
- I heard “10,000 Reasons” on the radio on the way to pick the kids up this afternoon. I sang my heart out and smiled the whole time.
- My friend J.J. sent me a very sweet card in the mail and a very generous donation to Ken Blount Ministries as a way to remember and honor Felix this week. Made my day!
- A lady who lost a baby 4 years ago sent me a message on FB and let me know how this blog was helping her. Praise God!
- Gus found a little tear on his stuffed dog Carl that he sleeps with every night and was heart broken. Crocodile tears. He’s still four and I like that.
- Spent the night studying Touring Plans and making sure we are all set to have the maximum amount of fun possible at Disney World.
- I got my Touring Plans App tonight. I was going to print out a bunch of plans, maps, and park info but now I don’t have to because everything is nice and handy on my iPhone!
- The weather in Florida on the days we will be at the Disney parks is going to be perfect according to the 10 day forecast.
- Our new postage meter is SO much faster that the old one.