For the last 11 years I have called Joshua Blount my best friend. I met him when I was just 15, we immediately bonded and have always had a really special friendship. When we were prophesied over together in 2011, the words “best friends” were spoken over us twice by two different Pastors.
“You have a real strong bond in your relationship. You are best friends and you’re going to be best friends.”
“You are best friends. That foundation is in your life.”
I like what he likes, he likes what I like. I have more fun with him than anyone else on earth. He laughs at my stupid jokes, I laugh at his stupid jokes. We really are BFFs.
In July, I went in with my best friend and our two children to find out if the baby we were expecting in November was going to be a boy or girl, instead we found out that there would be no baby in November. I looked over at Josh who was holding our daughter Beau and he nodded at me and mouthed “it’s going to be okay.” Somehow in that moment he was able to hold it together for me and help me hold it together in front of the kids. I had to wait a few minutes on the exam bed while another doctor came in to view the ultrasound and confirm that our baby’s spirit had left the earth. Those few minutes felt like an eternity. I just wanted to hug my husband. When I finally got to, it was the most amazing hug I’ve ever received. I felt safe, warm, loved, and comforted. I didn’t want it to end. I knew I wasn’t in this alone. I knew someone else was just as heart broken and hurt as I was.
Over the next few days I saw Josh not just as a best friend that likes what I like and is fun to hang out with, but as the kind of friend the Bible talks about in Proverbs 18:27 …there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
He was living out 2 Corinthians 5:20 Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ…
An ambassador is an accredited diplomat sent by a country as its official representative to a foreign country.
An ambassador is not just a messenger, he is also a representative of the one that sent him. We are to be ambassadors for Christ in the foreign place that we live. We are not of the world, but in the world, sent here to represent Jesus.
Josh represented Jesus to me that week. His hugs were like they were coming straight from Jesus, his compassion, the words he spoke, the way he held my hand, the way he would not leave the side of my bed while we were in the hospital. I could totally see the love and compassion of Jesus in his eyes. He was an ambassador of Christ, doing the very thing Jesus would have done if He was upon the earth in the flesh.
There is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. That friend is Jesus. And for me that friend is Josh, because Josh lives to represent Jesus.
Be an ambassador for Christ today. Represent Him and the honor and reputation of His kingdom.
- Tomorrow my husband celebrates his 33rd birthday. I am so thankful he was born!
- I am married to my best friend. A friend that sticks closer than a brother.
- Josh is an ambassador of Christ.
- He was with me every step of the way as God worked to heal our broken hearts.
- He’s not the man I married, he’s better than the man I married.
- We’ve made some pretty attractive kids together.
- He prays for me.
- He prays with me.
- He’s the best “Dida” in the world, and that’s not because I’m pretty sure he’s the only “Dida” in the world.
- He has big muscles.
- He’s the funniest person I know.
- He thinks I’m funny too.
- I know what he enjoys more than anything else is being with our family.
- He works very hard and is a great provider.
- We have celebrated the last 11 of his birthdays together.
- He has a pure heart.
- He is a great help to me around the house.
- He forgives fast.
- He is one of the most creative and talented people I know. He has great ideas and always finds a way to make them a reality.
- He desires to live in God’s will for His life.
- He is so supportive of me in everything I do.
- He challenges me to be a better follower of Christ, wife and mom because he is always striving for better.
- He likes to cuddle.
- He is a good lookin’ guy! Gets better every year.
- He keeps me in good music.
- He introduced me to sushi.
- He hears from God.
- Doctors told his mom she could not have children, but she believed what the Bible said. Today we celebrate not only Josh’s birthday but God’s faithfulness!