Proverbs 17:6 Grandchildren are the crowning glory of the aged; parents are the pride of their children.
This is one of my favorite family verses! When we found out we were expecting our first child we put a hamburger bun in my in law’s oven along with a little note that had the first part of that scripture on it. It took them a second but they finally figured out that we were trying to tell them I had a bun in the oven and that they were getting another crown.
Today I’ve been thinking about the second part of the verse. Parents are the pride of their children. People often refer to their children as their pride and joy, but this verse says the opposite. Parents should be the pride and joy of their children. If you live a life that makes your kids proud, they will live a life that makes you proud!
What a great goal. When I leave the earth someday I want my children to be able to say that they are proud of me. I want them to aspire to be like me and my husband. I want them to desire to have a marriage like ours. I want them to be great parents to their kids because we were great parents to them.
Today my father in law, Ken Blount is celebrating his 62nd birthday. Papa, I just want you to know that you are the pride of your children. We are so proud of the man of God that you are. You are a great father, husband, and grandfather. You practice what you preach. You are running the race He’s set for you and running to win. When we grow up we want to be just like you. Thank you for living a life that makes us proud, we promise to do the same for you.
- 62 years ago today my father in law was born!
- He modeled how to be a good husband and father for my husband Josh.
- He is the most wonderful father-in-law a girl could ask for.
- My kids are beyond blessed to have him as their Papa.
- He had a praying wife that prayed for him to receive Christ.
- He has served God with his whole heart since he got saved.
- God ministered His love to a farm kid from Kress, Texas and changed the world forever.
- He started Ken Blount Ministries, which I have the privilege to work for.
- Best boss a girl cold ask for.
- All of the grandchildren are trained baristas. They love making coffee with their papa.
- He always smells good.
- His car is always immaculate.
- He takes Gus for rides in his black pick up truck.
- He prayed for me before I even knew Josh.
- Gives Josh good hair cuts!
- Always has the best fruit in his fridge.
- Awesome dance moves.
- Fun to travel with.
- Took a huge step of faith to move his family to Tulsa and God followed with huge favor!
- He played Niccodemus on the Gospel Bill show while playing an important role in how children’s ministry is done today.
- Practices what he preaches.
- Prays for his family every single day.
- Helped us through some really difficult times in our marriage.
- Wrote some of the best kids praise and worship songs out there. They are my kid’s favorites.
- He is an encourager and always lets us know he believes in us and is proud of us.
- Gus has a lot of his personality. Personality plus.
- He takes me to in n out burger to eat french fries – Beau
- He makes me peaches and cream – Gus