I was running this morning and listening “Oh Your Bring” by Hillsong United, a song I’ve listened to many times, but today these words really got me thinking, and You opened the door for me.
I began to think about the tradition of gentlemen opening doors for ladies and wondering how that got started. I found out that it probably originated in the 16th through 19th century in Europe. During this time women were wearing those huge fancy hoop dresses, tied up in extremely uncomfortable undergarments. It was very hard for them to move around and since all of them were dressed in the same big, restricting dresses men began to open doors for them and help them in and out of stage coaches.
It’s not quite the same today, but I do appreciate when I’m in my jeans trying to push a double stroller through a tiny door and someone helps me open it so I can get where I need to go.
All of that got me wondering what kind of doors God wants to open for me. I mean, I know Jesus is the door, the only way of entrance into salvation, but what kind of doors does he open?
Colossians 4:3 meanwhile praying also for us, that God would open to us a door for the word, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in chains.
This verse is so inspiring to me. Paul is in prison for speaking about the mystery of Christ, yet he is asking people to pray that God will open a door so he can have the opportunity to do more of the very thing that got him thrown in prison!
There are several other verses in the New Testament about God opening doors so his people can preach the gospel. They were able to get into places they wouldn’t have been able to get into on their own because God opened doors for them. The asked him to open doors because they realized without him they were like a lady in a huge restricting gown unable to move her arms. I have felt that way before when trying to reach someone that is lost… like my hands are tied, there’s nothing I can say or do to get through to them. Once I get to that point with a person it’s hard for me to figure out how to pray for them, but today God showed how to do that.
I can pray like Paul, I can pray that God would open a door. I can’t do it on my own. I’m in need of a gentlemen to help me! I need God to open doors that only He can open so I can share God’s love and His word with the lost, hurting, and broken people He brings across my path.
If you want more opportunities to minister to people ask God to open doors. Think Pete Townsend like thoughts and let God’s love open the door to their heart!
Revelation 3:8 (MSG) I see what you’ve done. Now see what I’ve done. I’ve opened a door before you that no one can slam shut.
- God is a door opener!
- I learned how to pray for more opportunities to minister the gospel to people… open doors for me Lord!
- When God opens a door no one else can shut it.
- Hoop dresses are no longer in.
- “Oh You Bring” by Hillsong United.
- “Let My Love Open The Door” by Pete Townsend.
- Gus woke up early so I got to cuddle with him before everyone else woke up.
- Beau had Alphabit cereal for the first time. She had a great time at breakfast eating and talking about letters.
- I had a Rocky Balboa type of run this morning all bundled up in Josh’s big sweatshirt.
- Sweatshirts with holes in the sleeves that you can put your thumbs through.
- Gus and Josh go to go out for a guys lunch this afternoon.
- “God likes it when we make fun of Baal” – What Gus got out of the Elijah at Mt. Carmel story.
- Josh fixed our toilet. He thought he might have to call a plumber, but he did it all by himself!
- Josh installed a new light fixture in the kitchen today. He’s so handy!
- Gus watched “The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad” Bing Crosby has such an amazing voice. I was really enjoyed listening to all of the songs.
- Josh got some new shirts for vacation!
- The Disney Store had a sale on PJ’s… just what I went in to buy.
- I got a new throw blanket for the couch!
- After 3 years I finally bought some pillows to go on the couch.
- I wasn’t the only one excited about the new pillows. They were like new toys to Beau!
- Yummy garden salad subs for dinner!
- I made my first chilli of the season for tomororow night’s dinner.
- Had a great little conversation with Beau at dinner about how old she is.
- Beau loved the sweater I was wearing today. She kept patting my arm and saying “soft” and leaning over in her highchair to give me hugs. She’s so awesome.
- Gus had fun playing tennis on the Wii tonight and got some energy out!
- Date night at home! I love Fridays with my husband.
- Really enjoyed my new pillows, new blanket, popcorn, tea, and Super 8!
- Josh folded AND put away laundry tonight after our date.