Last time we were at Disney Land in California we decided to take a little rest and enjoy a Mickey Mouse ice cream sandwich before we headed to the next ride. I can still see this moment perfectly in my head. Where we were sitting, what color the tables were, what the weather felt like and the sweet little sparrow hoping around picking up pieces of popcorn. We all watched him for a while and Josh and I decided that if you were going to be a bird Disney Land was the best possible place you could make your nest.
Today I read in Psalm 84 what a Psalmist, possibly David, thought was the best possible place a sparrow could make it’s nest.
3 Even the sparrow finds a home, and the swallow builds her nest and raises her young at a place near your altar, O Lord of Heaven’s Armies, my King and my God! 4 What joy for those who can live in your house, always singing your praises.
Yeah, so in the temple next to the altar definitely trumps Disney Land for the all time best places for a sparrow to live.
I love that very sweet thought. What joy for a little bird to be able to live in God’s house, always singing his praises. It doesn’t say what joy for the birds who get to fly over the altars, but what joy for those that make their nests there, that live there, lay their eggs there, and raise their little sparrow chicks there praising God in His lovely dwelling place.
The writer of this Psalm is envious of the set up that these birds have. Verse 2 says , “I long, yes, I faint with longing to enter the courts of the Lord. With my whole being, body and soul, I will shout joyfully to the living God.”
Jesus made that longing to live continually in his presence possible for us. Ephesians 2:20-21 Together, we are his house, built on the foundation of the apostles and the prophets. And the cornerstone is Christ Jesus himself. We are carefully joined together in him, becoming a holy temple for the Lord.
We don’t have to live vicariously through a sparrow living in the temple. We are the temple! God has made His home in us so we can make our nests and raise our families in His presence, always singing His praise.
- Sparrows are adorable.
- We can live in God’s house, because He lives in us!
- I’m making my nest and raising my family in God’s beautiful dwelling place.
- Mickey Mouse ice cream sandwiches.
- The vivid memory God replayed in my head this morning as I was thinking on these verses.
- My friend Shannon let me know that an ellipsis is always three dot dot dots… very helpful since I use them… a lot.
- My mom went in for a mammogram a few days ago and they saw something they didn’t like. She went back in today and they found nothing. God is good!
- Beau asked to look at the toys at Target. We took advantage of Gus being at school and looked at girly stuff for a long time together.
- Gus asked me to pray for him like I did yesterday! I knew it touched his heart!
- Beau wore her heart shaped sunglasses upside down all the way to Gus’ school.
- I got some new t-shirts for vacation.
- My list of outfits for everyone for each day of vacation is complete.
- My friend is having her sons make a list of what they are thankful for whenever they feel like complaining! Love that being thankful instead of complaining is simple enough for even little children to understand and practice.
- 30 days until Thanksgiving! I am so looking forward to driving to Tulsa with Christmas music playing all 4 hours!
- My house is clean.
- 24 years ago today my niece-in-law Courtney was born!!
- I got to spend time praying for her this morning and know this is going to be the best year of her life.
- God gave our family a gift when she married my nephew Justin.
- She is living for God and building His kingdom! I’m so proud of her and inspired by her!
- Gus told me he told his friends at school today about the devil. I would have loved to hear that conversation.
- Left overs for dinner night.
- Walking around the neighborhood and catching up with Josh while the kids ride their bikes.
- Got to read “Heaven Is For Real: For Kids” to Gus tonight. A friend gave it to me when we first lost Felix, but I haven’t read it to him until now because I didn’t think I could make it through without crying.. I got pretty choked up in a few places, but it is a beautiful book and Gus loved learning more about heaven.
- Awesome news from a friend! God is faithful and his timing is perfect!
- Sweet time of prayer with my sweet husband.
- 30 for 30! Love that show.
- Josh went to check on the kids before bed and noticed Beau had peed through her diaper. I came in and changed it for her in the dark, while she was sleeping on her tummy, without waking her up!
- 10kreasons has had over 7,000 views in 79 days.