One afternoon I was walking around at the zoo when all of a sudden I see a lion who has escaped from his cage just a few feet away from me. He’s enormous. His shoulder blades move up and down with very intimidating definition as he walks closer to me. Everyone around me starts to scream and run for their lives.
I don’t know what happens next, because I always wake up before I get to that part. Weird recurring dream. I don’t think it’s spiritual. I think I just watched “A Ghost In The Darkness” too many times growing up. You know that Val Kilmer movie about the lions in Africa who were hunting people at night? Goosebumps happening as I type this now.
Lions are definitely an animal you don’t want to mess with. But I guess no one told Benaiah that. 2 Samuel 23:20 says that “…He also had gone down and killed a lion in the midst of a pit on a snowy day.”
I have read this verse before and I always thought Benaiah fell into a pit and there happened to be a lion in it and he killed it. That would be really impressive if that was the case, but I noticed today that he didn’t fall into the pit he went into it because he wanted to kill the lion. Some translations say he chased the lion into the pit. It seems like he could have just left the lion alone and waited for it to starve or throw spears at it from a distance, but Benaiah didn’t make it into David’s list of mighty men for nothing.
1 Peter 5:8-9 (NIRV) Control yourselves. Be on your guard. Your enemy the devil is like a roaring lion. He prowls around looking for someone to chew up and swallow. Stand up to him. Stand firm in what you believe…
The Bible likens the devil to a lion. The same type of animal that Benaiah went after and killed. He didn’t run from him, he went after him. He didn’t wait around hoping he would starve to death, he took care of him right then and there. He stood up to him and killed him. As Christians we can stand up to the devil. We don’t have to run scared of Him, He has to run scared of us. James 4:7 says, resist or stand up against the devil and he will flee from you. The devil is evil. Every bad thing you’ve ever seen reported on the news or recorded in the history books he was behind. Murder, child abuse, child molestation, sex trafficking, Hitler, KKK, abortion, and every other horrible thing that’s ever happened can all be traced back to him. But don’t let that intimidate you. “Satan can be set running by the resistance of the lowliest believer who comes in the authority of what Jesus did on the cross.” (Guzik)
Satan is a roaring lion looking for someone to chew up and swallow, but he’s not looking for mighty men like Benaiah. He’s hiding from them in a snowy pit. Stand up to Him! You have nothing to fear because of what Jesus did for you at the cross.
Hebrews 2:14 Because God’s children are human beings—made of flesh and blood—the Son also became flesh and blood. For only as a human being could he die, and only by dying could he break the power of the devil, who had the power of death.
Stand up to him, remind him that his power has been broken, and set him running.
- The enemy has been defeated!! His power has been broken!!
- When we stand up against the devil he runs from us, we don’t have to run from him.
- When the devil sees me He doesn’t see someone he can chew up and swallow, He sees Jesus! Jesus is alive in me!
- These mighty men of David have really been ministering to me the last few days.
- God told me in my prayer time to let Gus hear me pray over him. I could tell it ministered to him when I laid my hands on him and spoke the word over him.
- Me and the kids got our flu shots today. Thankful we won’t have to mess with that this year.
- Gus was much better about getting a shot today than he was last time. He only cried because he didn’t like that me and Beau had to get shots too.
- We had fun looking at all of the Christmas decorations at CVS while we were waiting to make sure no one had a bad reaction to the vaccine.
- No one had a bad reaction!
- Found the cutest Mickey Mouse pirate suckers.. going to have to incorporate those into the scavenger hunt I’m planning to tell the kids about our trip to Disney in 3 weeks.
- Great time with the kids at one of our favorite parks in Frisco.
- Picnic lunch! So nice eating outside and not having any mess to clean up.
- I get to stay at home and spend all day every day with my sweet kids.
- Hearing my kids laugh and play together on the bouncy bridge.
- Very productive day at work!
- Enjoyed working to all of my new praise and worship music.
- Listened to This I Know about 30 times today. Good song by Desperation Band.
- Made a big pot of vegetable beef stew for dinner.
- Pre-cut stew meat! I could never be a butcher.
- The home made bread my friend Anna gave me went perfectly with our stew.
- Listened to an awesome parenting message by Jimmy Evans this morning while I was getting ready.
- My husband has the night off!!
- Really loved having a normal night at home with my family.
- Nice night taking a walk and bike ride with the kids.
- Gus makes me feel like the most loved mom in all of the world.
- Loved reading to Beau tonight. She’s so smart and very funny.
- Josh and Gus talked before bed about how amazing heaven will be.. makes me happy knowing Felix is there.
- Had nothing to do tonight except hang out with my husband.