In 2 Samuel 23 you can read about a group of guys called “David’s Mighty Men.” These men were the best of the best soldiers.. I’m thinking like Navy Seal type of guys. They followed David and were ready and willing to give their life for him. They were quite an entourage. I think my favorite mighty man is Eleazar. He gets mentioned in verses 9 & 10.
And after him was Eleazar the son of Dodo, the Ahohite, one of the three mighty men with David when they defied the Philistines who were gathered there for battle, and the men of Israel had retreated. He arose and attacked the Philistines until his hand was weary, and his hand stuck to the sword. The Lord brought about a great victory that day;
Eleazar went into a battle with the Philistines and when the rest of the men that were supposed to be fighting alongside of him retreated, he held his ground. He kept fighting. He arose and attacked the Philistines until his hands were tired and stuck to his sword. The Lord was with him and He brought a great victory that day, meaning Eleazar was victorious in his battle against the Philistines!
I love that God mentioned that his hand stuck to his sword! No matter how tired, how exhausted, he never let go of that sword. It was actually stuck to his hand like it was a part of it.
When I read that these two verse popped into my head.
Hebrews 10:23 Let us HOLD TIGHTLY without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep His promises.
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick and powerful and sharper than any two-edged SWORD.
If we want The Lord to bring a great victory to us like he did for Eleazar we’ve got to grab ahold of our sword, which is God’s word, and hold onto it so tightly that it actually becomes a part of us.
I like the message translation of Hebrews 10:23 Let’s keep a firm grip on the promises that keep us going. He always keeps his word.
Where do we find the promises that we are supposed to keep a firm grip on? In The Bible, our sword!
If you want to see a great victory you can’t retreat. You can’t put down your sword when things don’t seem to be going your way. You have to stand your ground like Eleazar. Arise and attack with a death grip on your sword! Don’t let any circumstances cause you to put it down, because God always keeps His word and if you hold tightly to it He will bring about a great victory!
- I woke up at 4 am last night and couldn’t fall back asleep so I started to read my Bible and got all of this awesome stuff out of it and then went back to sleep.
- God ALWAYS keeps his word!
- His word is my sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes my innermost thoughts and desires.
- God wants to bring about a great victory in every battle we face!
- Eleazar was stuck to His sword and God reminded me how important it is for me to be stuck to mine.
- My dad’s name is not Dodo.
- Josh got to sleep for 11 hours last night!! He needed it too!
- Sweet time of prayer. Thinking about Felix and letting God comfort me like only He can.
- Alicia Ingram was born thirty something years ago today. She is a HUGE blessing to Gateway Frisco!
- Josh taught me something really cool about training kids in the way they should go. Glad I married such a wise man.
- After a week off, finally got to work out!
- Bought a new workout DVD. Nice to have something new to do.
- Josh looked extra handsome and smelled extra good today when he left for church.
- Beautiful day!
- About 1,500 people came out to Fall Festival.
- Last week we happened to see a sign at Pottery Barn Kids about a special Captain America autograph signing happening today.
- Gus spent a lot of time coloring a very detailed picture of The Avengers to give to Cap when he met him.
- Gus got his picture made with Cap, got to hold his shield, and got his books autographed.
- Cap was so sweet and told Gus he was going to show the picture he colored to the rest of The Avengers. Gus thought that was so awesome!
- Found a free shipping code for Josh’s birthday present.
- Gus sat on a toy shark in the bathtub. He was crying and laughing at the same time as Josh was asking God to heal his booty.
- Braum’s Lime-aide before church. Best lime-aides in the world.
- Awesome praise & worship tonight, only I wasn’t ready for it to end!
- Pastor Robert’s message on daily bread was great! I am learning so much about The Lord’s Prayer.
- We can get a word from God daily!
- Hot, delicious dinner waiting on us after church.
- Beau cleaned her plate!
- We had kids in bed by 7:55! We make a good team, Josh & me.